Graduate Nurse RN - Spring Summer
Shawnee Mission Health (SMH) offers Graduate Nurse RN positions ideal for nurses who have recently graduated within the past year and want to learn, work and serve in a faith-based environment. This position is designed to support the successful transition of the new graduate nurse RN into a professional role as RN in the acute care setting.
Full-time Graduate Nurse RN opportunities are available on the following units:
- Cardiac Care
- Heart Neuro Vascular
- Short Stay
- Progressive Care
- Intensive Care
- Emergency Department
- Women’s Services
- Full-time nursing position
- Includes blended didactic and precepted clinical
- Day and/or night shifts available (day shifts are limited and fluctuate based by campus needs)
- The graduate nurse RN utilizes the Nursing Process (Assess, Plan, Implement and Evaluate) to provide optimal patient care.
- Demonstrates accurate assessment skills appropriate to patient population and based on evidence, policy and practice standards when caring for all patients regardless of complexity or need.
- Assures patient safety by adhering to established policies and procedures and utilizing patient safety resources such as mPPID.
- Implements a plan of care according to identified physical, psychosocial and spiritual needs.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize nursing interventions based on patient needs and in conjunction with unit activities and resources available.
- Actively participates in bedside shift report, safety huddles, multidisciplinary patient rounds and hourly rounding to gather all information necessary to care for patients.
- Provides individualized teaching plan based on assessed learning needs, education level, language spoken and level of understanding.
- Provides patient and family/significant other with a completed Teaching/Discharge Plan which includes specific information regarding medications, follow-up and community resources as needed.
- Documents all pertinent information (health history, assessment, test results, plan of care, teaching and patient response) in a timely manner according to departmental policy.
- Participates in shared decision making by working on committees and/or providing input to committee representatives.
- Participates in performance improvement activities and makes recommendations for revisions to practice based on evidence and data collection.
- Coordinates with other resources (i.e. case management, home health) as needed.
- Contributes to the growth of others by providing feedback through peer coaching.
- Attends all hospital, unit mandatory and continuing education requirements.
- Participates in staff meetings and reads all updates in order to keep apprised of activities and practice changes.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing (CCNE or ACEN preferred)
- Must have a GPA of at least 3.0 or higher
- Must have less than one (1) year of experience
- Must have graduated within the past year
- Current Kansas RN license (may apply without license, but must have license prior to licensure deadline)
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) preferred