Social Worker MSW Care Management Relief Days
Req #: 17000062
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
Job Category: Case Management
Organization: Shawnee Mission Medical Center
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and will soon include SMH - Blue Valley, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.Qualifications
You will be responsible for:
- Incorporates and maintains a professional practice pattern that includes psychosocial functioning, adaptation to illness, post hospital planning, and psychosocial assessment/evaluation and facilitates services to refer to community agencies, financial planning and provision of information and resource knowledge.
- Displays a high level of flexibility, adaptability and organization skills in response to the caseload and to effectively prioritize cases.
- Identifies and advocates client needs lacking in community systems.
- Functions as a treatment team member, interpreting social, psychological, emotional and family system problems and strengths to other members of the treatment team.
- Incorporates patient, physician, customer needs and concerns into decision-making and organizational action.
- Demonstrates proficiency in use of the electronic medical record and programs specific to the role.
- Demonstrates ability to provide social work services to patient, family members and significant others in five areas: 1) psychological functioning 2) adaptation to illness, injury, disability 3) complex post hospital planning 4) psychosocial assessment/evaluation and 5) facilitation services such as referral community agencies financial planning, and provision of information and resource knowledge.
- Identifies and intervenes in suspected abuse, including sensitivity to age specific concerns: physical/emotional/sexual abuse of children and adolescents: domestic abuse for adults; caretaker/institutional abuse for senior adults.
- Provides an in-depth comprehensive psychosocial assessment of the patient and their support system. Identifies and intervenes regarding specific age and developmental issues for: infants, toddlers, adolescents, early/middle age adults and older adults.
- Documents direct service on patient’s medical record after each significant encounter and at closure of case, according to Shawnee Mission Health, JTC, CMS and HCFA standards.
- Formulates discharge plan, in collaboration with the case manager, multidisciplinary treatment team, the patient and the family. The discharge plan will include age specific community resources: adolescents may include school or alcohol/drug treatment/support groups; adults may include domestic violence shelters, self-help support groups and community mental health providers; senior adults may include Department of Aging resources, and home health agencies.
- Evaluates practice upon completion of case intervention, determining whether intervention was adherent to contract and whether client achieved expected outcome.
- Manages crisis situations as needed, demonstrating ability to quickly appraise crisis situation and selects appropriate intervention. Organizes clinical staff to intervene and/or directly provide crisis intervention.
- Rotates evening on-call coverage for discharge planning, discharge or consultation – (Monday - Sunday, 4:30pm - 8:00am).
- Participates in community outreach and marketing through: public speaking, inservices, workshops, conferences and community presentations.
- Participates in various hospital and department committees.
- Functions as a field practicum instructor for University students as appropriate.
- Identifies cases with exceptional discharge delays for review by team, Physician Advisor and/or Director.
- Cooperates with changes in staffing schedules and workload in order to achieve department productivity standard.
- Assumes financial accountability to ensure that care of the patient is appropriately coordinated to meet clinical and transitional needs at time of discharge.
- Provides conscientious commitment to assigned work, work schedule, honesty, teamwork, assisting others to bring about positive outcomes.
- Recognizes and manages risks, resolves issues and problems as soon as they arise, reports and documents adverse events and reportable conditions.
- Verbally and behaviorally supports Shawnee Mission Health’s mission and values. Develops a helpful attitude and purpose towards customers.
What Will You Need?
- Master’s Degree
- Up to 1 Year of Position-Related Experience
- 1 to 2 Years of Hospital Based Experience
- Kansas Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) OR
- Kansas Licensed Specialist Clinical Social Worker (LSCSW)
- 1 to 2 Years of Position-Related Experience Preferred