Electrophysiology (EP) Specialist Cath Lab FT Days
Full Time, Days
Full Time, Days
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and will soon include SMH - Blue Valley, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.
- Demonstrates through behavior, Shawnee Mission Health core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
- Maintains expertise with EP technologies and procedures. Maintains clinical expertise in the field of electrophysiology.
- Contributes to overall quality of EP program and cath lab procedures and participates in EP quality performance initiatives.
- Assists with ordering of supplies and maintaining adequate EP supply par levels in conjunction with product coordinator or director.
- Facilitates clinical resource management for EP charge codes and procedures.
- Possesses EP skill set while keeping current with emerging trends, educates and shares knowledge with team members within department to increase independence. Educates staff and assists to hold accountable to meet progressive EP program goals.
- Assures availability of EP procedures in a timely fashion for optimum patient care and services. Responsible for ensuring all supplies/device reps/anesthesia/support are available for each case.
- Works under JCAHO, OSHA, and state standards with documentation in regards to cardiac EP/cath lab.
- Incorporates patient, physician, customer needs and concerns into decision-making and organizational action for EP population.
- As a technologist, transfers and positions patients; utilizes sterile technique, initiates and assists in controlling Code Blue procedures if called, cleans and disinfects equipment in procedure room.
- Maintains complete documentation record of each procedure performed.
- Utilizes CPACS, Maclab, Cardio Lab, Carto, Bloom Stimulator and any other EP technology and coronary cath technology in an effective manner. Trouble shoots problems with orders and makes corrections.
- As a technologist, maintains all physiological monitoring equipment and supplies, prepares room for procedure (including sterile field), selects proper catheters and guide wires for each procedure, provides devices as required, operates Medrad Injector; selects proper pressure, rates and volume for each injection, operates and maintains equipment, calculates catheter data, administers opaque media as requested by physicians.
- Works in collaboration with EP lead with all EP systems integration in conjunction with hospital IT systems and Biomed departments.
- Supports and assist with data collection for process improvement while understanding performance trends and established standards. Contributes and encourages others to contribute toward process improvement by serving on PI teams as assigned. Participates in Gallup and Patient satisfaction initiatives.
- Uses knowledge of the levels of growth, development, and skills for all patients that enter the department.
- As a technologist, scrubs in and assists physicians when necessary, and other related duties as requested per the supervisor.
- Follows the “Standards of Behavior” guidelines per hospital policy.
- Ensures EP lab safety regulations and maintains documentation and records.
- Attends a minimum of 75% of scheduled department meetings and is accountable for obtaining information from missed meetings.
- Follows AIDET (Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation and Thank) at all times.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Associate’s Degree or Graduate of a Technical School
- 2 Years of Position-Related Experience
- Basic EKG knowledge
- ACLS upon hire and maintain ACLS certification
- Completion and passing of basic EKG course
- Two years’ experience in EP lab or two years’ experience in cardiac cath lab with EP experience
- Ability to function independently with little or no supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to read, write legibly and perform basic mathematic skills
- Proficient in all competency skills for this modality
- Licensed RRT, RCIS (Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist) or RCES (Registered Cardiovascular Electrophysiology Specialist) by Cardiovascular Credentialing International
- BCLS obtained through the American Heart Association
- ACLS obtained through the American Heart Association
- Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (RCIS) OR
- Registered Cardiovascular Electrophysiology Specialist (RCES) OR
- Registered Radiologic Technologist (ARRT) and Kansas Licensed Radiologic Technologist (LRT) OR
- Kansas Registered Nurse License and Kansas Licensed Radiologic Technologist (LRT)
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
- 2 to 5 Years of Position-Related Experience Preferred