Nursing Supervisor PRN Nights
Florida Hospital Heartland
Florida Hospital Heartland Medical Center Lake Placid has provided faith-based, whole person care to the community for more than 30 years. That means we take into consideration the mind, body and spirit when designing each of our services and developing personalized treatment plans for patients. Our 50-bed facility includes the county’s only senior behavioral health unit. We also offer emergency care, surgical services, diagnostic imaging, outpatient counseling, and a fitness center to help community members achieve optimal health.
You will be responsible for:
All essential functions must be performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Assesses type of patient served, competency and skill level of staff, availability of supplies and equipment to meet patient needs.
· Demonstrates leadership and teaching ability; acts as a role model for staff.
· Evaluates patient care to ensure proper Nursing Care is being delivered, by making frequent rounds.
· Assists specialty areas, specifically ER by rounding frequently, evaluating patient needs, wait times, assisting staff in Triage, the placement of patients into exam areas, and assuring comfort measures for waiting visitors/patients are met
· Adheres to hospital policies/procedures.
· Continually assesses bed availability and information, organizing the movement of patients throughout the system.
· Responsible for making major decisions under pressure and demonstrates the ability to work independently
2. Implements policies, procedures, protocols and standards of care to insure that patients receive care within these guidelines.
· Completes chart reviews as requested. Recognizes potential safety hazards, intervenes for the safety of patients, visitors and staff.
· Recognizes self as an extension of the Sr. Administrative Team and functions at that level.
· Responds to Appropriate Codes and records appropriately (assures notification of primary MD/family is made).
· Responsible for appropriate disciplinary measures/counsels/advises staff
· Works effectively with physicians, staff, management with minimal supervision.
3. Maintains effective communication between administration, physicians, staff, patients and families.
· Displays effective leadership and communication skills, both written and spoken.
· Acts as a liaison between nursing, physicians, patients/families and makes frequent rounds through all departments including ancillary areas.
· Communicates concerns/problems of staff and physicians to the appropriate Director. Utilizes the administrator on call to assist in the resolution of conflict or complaints.
· Completes shift report with clear, concise facts, leaving out objective statements.
· Deals directly with patients and families who have complaints with prompt follow up to the appropriate administrator on call and department director.
· Follows the principals of AIDET in all patient and family interactions.
4. Maintains own clinical competency.
· Maintains knowledge current in regards to policy/procedures, reference manuals, standards and books related to nursing division and administrative functions.
· Participates in direct/indirect patient care
· Participates in performance improvement teams as a member or leader.
· Participates in staff meetings (75%).
· Completes annual competencies, continuing education and mandatory educational requirements
5. Prepares HPPD report with sufficient explanation of over or under staffing.
· Assists Managers by following budgetary guidelines and staffing matrix to maintain positive variances in Visionware.
· Evaluates staffing needs/staffing daily reports with documented justification for significant overstaffing, agency use or incentives I.e. performance bonuses, clinical integrated agency use and overtime.
6. Other duties as assigned.
What will you need:
· Mental and emotional stability, demonstrating a courteous and calm approach to all contacts with patients, visitors, and health care team members.
· Mature judgment and the ability to handle confidential information within Florida Hospital guidelines and applicable regulations.
· Personal qualities such as kindness, compassion, understanding, integrity, respect, sense of humor, discretion and confidentiality.
· Ability to learn and apply computer related applications and programs, including using electronic keyboards and other peripheral devices.
· Ability to communicate verbally in English and in written form with persons of varied backgrounds in a respectful, effective and professional manner.
· Critical thinking / problem solving skills
· Teamwork, tact and conflict resolution
· Organizational, multitasking and prioritization skills
· Ability to provide leadership, direction, and solve complex problems
· Accurate documentation within the electronic medical record
· Ability to demonstrate proficiency in clinical skills, multi-tasking, and a professional bedside manner
· Knowledgeable in assigned areas of patient care including health promotion and maintenance
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Diploma or Associates in Nursing
· Effective working relationship with others
· Knowledge of patient population
· Minimum two (2) years Clinical Nursing Experience
· Minimum two (2) years Management/leadership role
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED
- BSN, MSN or Masters in related field
- Demonstrates leadership & teaching abilities
- Three (3) years recent hospital experience in area of supervision
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· Florida RN license
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
- PALS/ENPC within 1 yr. of acceptance
- Crisis Management or CPI within 90 days of employment