Polysomnographer Sleep Lab Nights Relief
Req #: 17003014
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
Job Category: Sleep Center
Organization: Shawnee Mission Medical Center
On Call, As Needed
6:30 PM - 7:00 AM
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and will soon include SMH - Blue Valley, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.
You will be responsible for:
- Incorporates patient, physician, customer needs and concerns into decision-making and organizational action.
- Demonstrates the ability to access department and medical center information.
- Performs polysomnography procedures according to physician orders, department policy/procedure, and patient care plan.
- Demonstrates ability to adapt EEG, ECG, EMG, Legs, Snore Mic and Thermistor equipment to patient and obtain quality data.
- Explains modification of teaching strategies to accommodate decreased vision, hearing or mental status to our geriatric patients.
- Explains considerations necessary for the care of our bariatric patients.
- Explains considerations necessary for care of the COPD patient suspected of chronic hybercarbia.
- Understands the medical center’s process when a non-English speaking patient comes in to have a sleep study.
- Uses hospital equipment, supplies, and resources responsibly.
- Maintains organized workflow and notifies Lead Polysomnographer if equipment/staffing concerns develop.
What will you need?
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Up to 1 Year of Experience
- RPSGT or under B-9 which requires enrollment in or completion of the A-STEP Online Self Study Modules OR enrolled in or completion of a CAAHEP accredited sleep technology training program or electroneurodiagnostic (END) program or respiratory therapy add-on track for sleep technology. Registered within 6 months of employment is required.
- BCLS obtained through the American Heart Association Preferred
- Associate’s Degree or Graduate of a Technical School Preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
- 1 to 2 Years of Position-Related Experience Preferred