Medical Technologist PRN Every Other Sunday-Emergency Room
Florida Hospital North Pinellas free-standing emergency room is located at US Highway 19 North and Highlands Boulevard, less than eight miles from the main hospital. The new 24-bed facility will be a full-service emergency room (ER) providing emergency care 24- hours a day, seven-days-a-week. The ER will be staffed with physicians and nurses who specialize in emergency medicine, and will also include on-site X-ray, ultrasound, CT-scan, and laboratory services.
Tobacco use is defined as the use of any tobacco product including the use of temporary aids to stop smoking such as nicotine patches, nicotine gum or other similar products.
Applicants being considered for employment at Florida Hospital North Pinellas will be tested for nicotine use as part of their regular pre-employment screening. Those who are identified as tobacco users will be ineligible for employment, but may reapply in six months
- Performs all testing for patients of all ages, from newborn through the geriatric populations according to SOPs.
- Runs, releases and troubleshoots QC according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Performs departmental preventative maintenance procedures.
- Troubleshoots instrument malfunctions and performs minor repairs.
- Exercises independent judgement in resolving unexpected, discrepant or critical value results.
- Works with supervisory staff to recommend and implement new procedures or policy changes.
- Performs computer function associated with the job tasks.
- Performs laboratory proficiency surveys conforming to regulatory agency requirements.
- Reviews work performed by Technicians as required.
- Ensures the daily QC and Preventative Maintenance checks are performed and documented.
- Assists other lab staff in their duties as needed.
- Redirect or calls in personnel due to unexpected absence or sickness by scheduled staff.
- Works shifts other than their normally scheduled shift to provide Technologist Licensure coverage as needed
- Controls use of expendable supplies.
- Supports processing area personnel in performing their duties.
- Performs computer functions associated with procedures in the specimen processing area.
- Participates in general and departmental staff meetings to discuss changes, issues and improvements.
- Performs additional duties as required or assigned.
- General knowledge of laboratory testing functions.
- General knowledge of laboratory equipment use.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Computer skills associated with laboratory information systems.
- Proficient in verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Associates Degree in the sciences or possess completed coursework as required by CLIA for a Medical Technologist.
- Completion of an accredited Medical Technologist/Technician training program.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Preferred)
- One year experience as a Medical Technologist (Preferred)
- Experience working in a Hospital based laboratory (Preferred)
- Licensed as a Medical Technologist by the State of Florida.
- Certified as a Medical Technologist by a national accrediting agency such as ASCP. (Preferred)