Certified Surgical Tech II Endoscopy & Operating Room PRN
The Surgical Technologist II is a member of the health care team who performs technical support in the perioperative period under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse according to the accepted clinical standards of care.
The Endoscopy Associate assist the physician and RN in the performance of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, prepares and maintains the endoscopy equipment, transport the patient, assist in patient care delivery under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse, precepts and trains new endoscopy associates, functions as a resource for difficult procedures, troubleshoots equipment problems, maintains supply inventories, provides input into the budgeting process, assist in estabablishing and monitoring standard of practice for endoscopy associates, coordinates and provides continuing education for endoscopy associates in conjunction with the Surgical Services educators, represent Endoscopy Department on assigned committees, is a role model for service management, participates in professional organizations/activities, participates in quality improvement activities on the unit, complies with regulatory agency requirements, responds to emergency situations as directed by the RN
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Checks supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedure
- Scrubs, gowns, and gloves
- Sets up sterile table with instruments, supplies, equipment, and
medications/solutions needed for procedure’ displays knowledge of procedure and patient positioning
- Performs appropriate counts with circulator prior to the operation and before
incision is closed
- Gowns and gloves surgeon and assistants
- Helps in draping sterile field
- Passes instruments, etc., to surgeon during procedure
- Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure
- Prepares sterile dressings
- Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization
- Assists other members of team with terminal cleaning of room
- Assists in prepping room for the next patient
- Works with RN and team members to provide safe patient care
- Handles surgical specimens with 100% accuracy
- Recognizes/ responds immediately to emergency situations appropriately
- Displays awareness of and participates in cost effective behaviors endorsed by the organization
- Performs duties in a timely manner, communicates all updates/ delays to team members/ team leader
- Communicates supply problems appropriately, restocking supplies for the unit as needed
- Readily accepts assignment or changes in assignment, maintains a positive attitude if asked to float to another room/ unit
- Willingness to change schedule to meet unit staffing needs
- Demonstrates competencies as defined by individual unit
- Increases clinical knowledge/ skills independently, working with unfamiliar procedures/ surgeons to expand/ develop new skills
· Takes responsibility for decisions, actions and results, delivers on commitments
· Demonstrates competency at an advanced, expert level on complex as well as routine procedure performed in the endoscopy department
· Positively identifies patient before performing patient care
· Assist the physician and RN with the performance of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
· Works directly with the physician in the choice and operation of equipment during procedure
· Assists the physician and RN with specimen collection. Collect and identifies each specimen for the transfer to the lab.
· Performs adjustments to equipment when necessary and teaches others to troubleshoot equipment
· Checks all endoscopy equipment prior to start of procedure for safety, function, and sterility
· Identifies malfunctioning equipment and takes appropriate action
· Follows established guidelines for cleaning, disinfecting, and sterilization of scopes and accessories following procedures.
· Stocks room with appropriate levels of supplies and equipment
· Assist the RN with pre and post procedural care.
· Provides for patient needs based upon such factors as diagnosis, age and cultural background
· Assist with transportation of patients and records appropriate destination within scheduled time frame.
· Honor's patient's rights by following privacy guidelines and code of ethics with our patients, physicians, co-workers, and guests.
· Demonstrates honesty and fairness in all that they do and accepts accountability for their actions.
· Recognize and anticipate the needs of others and go beyond their job to exceed expectations of those we serve.
· Greets everyone they encounter with a smile, using caring tone during conversations, and makes frequent and appropriate eye contact.
· Use common courtesy practices such as helping lost individuals, saying please and thank you, and knocking on a patient's door before entering.
· Proactively support a culture of safety and quality.
· Listen respectfully and avoid defensiveness in verbal and non-verbal communication. Exhibit willingness to assist co-workers.
· Display support in organizational decisions in their communication and actions. Refrains from gossiping and spreading rumors.
· Looks for opportunities to support, recognize and celebrate teamwork.Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and to demonstrate that s/he can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Interpersonal Skills
2. Completion of validation skills
3. Knowledge of sterile technique, instrumentation, equipment, and sterile field set-up
4. Knowledge of sterilization techniques
5. Patient care knowledge and skills
6. Working knowledge of and ability to use computer and perform data entry
7. Ability and willingness to work a flexible work week includingon call for weekends, nights and overtime as required
8. Knowledge of scope processing, STERIS equipment
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
· High level of expertise/competency in assisting on endoscopy procedures
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· High School Graduate/ GED
· Successful Completion of accredited Surgical Technology program
· Successful completion/training with Gastroenterologist and Surgeon
· Minimum 1 year experience as a CST
· Minimun 6 months on the job training in Endoscopy Department
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· AS in Surgical Technology
· Endoscopy Technician/Surgical technologist training
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· Current CST/ Certified Surgical Assistant
· Valid American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) certification