Care Partner II EMT - FT/Night
Req #: 17006993
Location: Wauchula, FL
Job Category: Patient Care
Organization: Florida Hospital Heartland
Potential Referral Bonus: $
FT / Night
Florida Hospital Heartland
You will be responsible for:
- Assists in the patient/family care using established techniques with the multidisciplinary team.
- Follows the principals of AIDET in all patient and family interactions.
- Assists the patient with activities of daily living as ordered by the physician
- Distributes food trays to patients. Assists patient with tray preparation and feeding as required.
- Maintains the patient's environment in manner that promotes cleanliness, patient comfort and patient safety.
- Responds to patient call lights/bells, cares for the needs of the patient according to her/his skill level.
- Prepares the room to receive a new admission: zeros the bed scale, personal care items, linen, vital sign equipment, etc.
- Welcomes new admission, orients patient to room.
- Transfers patients from beds onto gurneys or into wheelchairs with assistance of other patient care personnel when required.
- Ensures patient and personal safety by following proper lifting and patient transporting techniques.
- Provides patients with fresh water at established intervals
- Documents in the patient’s medical record:
- Data for assessment of patient/family needs in relation to care, condition, and education.
- Interventions and response to treatment.
- Personal care, intake and output, vital signs and weights.
- Performs patient care as delegated following hospital policies.
- Participates in the patient/family care, utilizing established techniques as part of the multidisciplinary team
- Incorporates principles of infection control, fire & safety, and biohazardous waste handling into daily routines.
- Promptly reports changes in patients’ status to the appropriate RN/LPN promptly.
- Recognizes emergency situations and acts appropriately.
- Collects patient specimens (urine, stool, sputum), labels at bedside comparing two unique patient identifiers, and send to lab for analysis according to protocol and communicate to nurse.
- Performs venipunctures, establishes intravenous sites, and performs point of care testing in accordance with hospital policies (Emergency Medical Technician, Paramedic, Nurse Tech)
- Maintains aseptic technique during sterile procedure setup, demonstrating knowledge of infection control practices.
- Assists in application of immobilization devices
- Chaperones procedures
- Maintains current clinical, technical and professional competencies.
- Accepts responsibility for one’s own professional standards.
- Accepts responsibility for one’s own actions by initiating the incident report mechanisms
- Attends a minimum of 75% of scheduled staff meetings annually.
- Attends mandatory hospital in-services annually.
- Complies with departmental, divisional and hospital policies and standards.
- Demonstrates awareness of the rising costs of healthcare and implements budgetary containment measures.
- Maintains equipment in its proper working condition; identifies malfunctioning equipment and takes appropriate action.
- Seeks and accepts constructive criticism and implements actions designed for self-improvement.
- Assists in the organization and operations of the unit via guidelines, policy, and procedures.
- Performs ordered 12-lead electrocardiogram as directed by RN (ED only)
- Performs functions of unit clerk when assigned
- Prepares and maintains patients medical records from admission through discharge to facilitate organization, completeness and accuracy of the records system for the unit
- Monitors physician orders to assist medical/nursing staff to assure prompt, efficient timely care of all patients.
- Manages unit supplies, activities, time and other resources in cost effective manner to reduce waste
- Maintains functional knowledge and seeks to improve competency in the area of responsibility.
- Maintains accurate focus on communication
- Maintains clinical competency.
- Attends mandatory hospital in-services and continuing education.
- Successful completion of annual skills fair.
- Other duties as assigned
What will you need?
- Ability to learn and apply computer related applications and programs, including using electronic keyboards and other peripheral devices.
- Mature judgment and the ability to handle confidential information within Florida Hospital guidelines and applicable regulations.
- Personal qualities such as kindness, compassion, understanding, integrity, respect, sense of humor, discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate verbally in English and in written form with persons of varied backgrounds in a respectful, effective and professional manner.
- Critical thinking / problem solving skills
- Teamwork, tact and conflict resolution
- Organizational, multitasking and prioritization skills
- Performs accurate documentation within the electronic medical record
- Certificate of completion CNA, LPN, EMT or Paramedic license or completion of Clinical III rotation in a professional nursing program
- Basic computer skills required
- Customer service skills
- Medical terminology required
- Basic dysrhythmia interpretation class
- Previous basic intravenous therapy class (LPN, EMT, Nurse Tech or Paramedic only) required
- CNA experience, minimum of 1 year or Unit Clerk experience, minimum of 1 year required
- Previous 12-lead EKG experience preferred
- Previous EMT or Paramedic experience preferred
- Vascular sheath pull training/experience (Post-cardiac catheterization recovery) preferred
- Point of care glucose testing training preferred
- Florida CNA, LPN, EMT or Paramedic license or completion of Clinical III rotation in a professional nursing program required
- BLS required
- CPI prior to or within 6 months of employment (Emergency Department and Behavioral Health Unit)