Certified Surgical First Assistant Women's Center OR FT Days
Req #: 17007512
Location: Tampa, FL
Job Category: Patient Care
Organization: Florida Hospital Tampa
Florida Hospital Tampa
You will be responsible for:
- Positioning the patient
- The surgeon shall convey the exact position that will give the best exposure for the surgical procedure. The surgical assistant will carry out this order. Consideration will be given to the patient’s comfort and safety.
- Points of pressure shall be padded: elbows, heels, knees, eyes, face, and axillary region.
- Circulation shall not be impaired. (A tourniquet may be required for some procedures.)
- Nerve damage shall be guarded against.
- The temperature of the patient should be discussed with the anesthesia personnel and methods employed to maintain the desired temperature range.
- The surgical assistant shall be familiar with common positions related to the surgical procedure and will be able to use the equipment necessary to provide the position.
- Competencies will include the following: Fracture tables, Head stabilizers, Body stabilizers, C-arm extensions, any other equipment needed
- Upon completion of the procedure, the patient shall be evaluated for any possible damage from positioning which will include assessment of the skin. The abnormal condition shall be reported to the surgeon and treatment and documentation shall be carried out.
- Providing visualization of the operative site by the following:
- Appropriate placement and securing of retractors with or without padding.
- Packing with sponges
- Digital manipulation of tissue
- Suctioning, irrigating, or sponging
- Manipulation of suture materials (e.g., loops, tags, running sutures).
- Proper use of body mechanics to prevent obstruction of the surgeon’s view.
- Utilizing appropriate techniques to assist with hemostasis.
- Clamping and/or cauterizing vessels or tissue
- Tying and/or ligating clamped vessels or tissue
- Applying hemostatic clips
- Placing local hemostatic agents
- Applying tourniquets and demonstrating awareness of the indications/contraindications for use with knowledge of side effects of extended use.
- Applying vessel loops
- Applying non-crushing clamps
- Applying direct digital pressure
- Participating in volume replacement or auto-transfusion techniques as appropriate.
- Utilizing appropriate techniques to assist with closure of body planes.
- Utilizing running or interrupted subcutaneous sutures with absorbable or non-absorbable material.
- Utilizing subcuticular closure technique with or without adhesive skin closure strips.
- Closing skin with method indicated by surgeon (suture, staples, etc.
- Postoperative subcutaneous injection of local anesthetic agent as directed by the surgeon.
- Selecting and applying appropriate wound dressings, including the following:
- Liquid or spray occlusive materials
- Absorbent material affixed with tape or circumferential wrapping.
- Immobilizing dressing (soft or rigid)
- Providing assistance in securing drainage systems to tissue
- Performs operative shave prep, scrub, urinary catheterization, or other patient care tasks as assigned by the RN.
- Anticipates the moves of the surgeon.
- Prepares and maintains surgical area:
- Proficient in scrubbing for all operative procedures within the scope of service
- Setup of procedure/operating room with correct instrumentation and supplies for the scheduled case
- Identifies unsafe or defective instrument/equipment and implements appropriate corrective action
- Verifies completeness of instruments/sponge/needle count
- Cleans instruments, equipment and room as appropriate when procedure is completed
- Ensures proper disposal of instruments, linen, trash, needles, sponges and other bio hazardous waste.
- Completes all annual mandatory educational requirements.
- Attends 75% of unit staff meetings.
- Assist in orientation and instruction of surgical personnel
What will you need?
- Knowledge of Anatomy
- Assist the surgeon in the Surgical Procedures
- Prepares and maintains surgical area
- Performs technical responsibilities for optimal patient care
- Serves as a resource person
- High School education or equivalent.
- Successful completion of an accredited Surgical Technology Course.
- Four years’ experience as a Surgical Technologist prior to CFA.
- Certification as a First Assistant
- Completion of Certified Surgical Assisting Program (Preferred)
- Robotic Experience (Preferred)