Home Health Nurse (RN) FT Days
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
As the largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes three campuses; Shawnee Mission Medical Center (SMMC) in Merriam, SMH - Prairie Star in Lenexa, and our newest campus: SMH - Overland Park at 159th and Antioch. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally-recognized. We have eleven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as four Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.
- Coordinates the activities of health team members to provide comprehensive care and continuity of services.
- Punctual with returning pages and phone calls, with completing documentation, timeliness in arriving at meetings and for patient appointments.
- Respects each discipline’s expertise. Evaluates patient’s need for other disciplines and makes appropriate Agency referrals.
- Respects authority by following the appropriate channels of communication in resolving problems and presenting information.
- Involves patient/family in the planning and implementation of care; prepares patient and/or family for changes in frequencies, transfer and/or discharge.
- Reports changes in the patient’s status to the team, such as hospitalization, discharges, and physician appointments.
- Completes and maintains clinical records in a timely manner and in accordance with the agency’s policy.
- Notifies patient’s physician of pertinent changes and discharge plans.
- Demonstrates flexibility in accepting patient assignments.
- Communicates on a daily basis with supervisor and/or office, including communication of schedule changes.
- Attends orientation, in-services, and team and staff meetings, as scheduled.
- Demonstrates and conveys a favorable image of Shawnee Mission Medical Center and Shawnee Mission Home Health Care.
- Delegates and supervises appropriate patient care duties performed by LPN’s, Home Health Aides, and students.
- Obtains physician’s written prescription and approval for all treatment changes.
- Participates in home care Performance Improvement Plan.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients and other associates.
- Utilizes modalities/procedures with knowledge of the contraindications related to age and diagnosis.
- Provides care according to established RN practices and standards of care.
- Acts as a patient advocate.
- Completes all documentation in accordance with department practice, policy and procedure.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform the OASIS Assessment, effectively communicating the results with the entire team, including the physician.
- Performs the OASIS follow-up assessments as needed and at recertification within the established timeframes.
- Develops and implements treatment using appropriate techniques within physician’s prescription, obtaining approval for changes.
- Completes evaluation/progress/discharge notes in a timely fashion and within agency guidelines.
- Communicates in a timely manner with the physician and other referral sources.
- Reviews and revises plan of treatment, as indicated.
- Provides weekend and holiday coverage as assigned by the patient care supervisor.
- Offers to take on other responsibilities to help the entire Home Health Care Team.
- Participates in student supervision as indicated.
- Demonstrates the initiative to learn and applies new processes and procedures by attending in-services, pertinent continuing education seminars, and reading profession journals.
- Provides educational in-services to the clinical staff after attendance at seminars/workshops.
- Discusses new cases with Patient Care Supervisor within 24 hours of admission and at least biweekly throughout the period of care.
- Communicates with team members for the effective creation and implementation of the plan of treatment.
- Participates actively in meetings.
- Participates in continuing education to keep practice current.
- Participates in Quarterly Chart Audits, as requested.
- Demonstrates cost-effective practices.
- Coordinates team efforts to meet patient care needs, avoiding duplication of services.
- Meets patient’s RN needs by providing appropriate number of RN visits for each patient.
- Reports any equipment or maintenance problems to Supervisor.
- Demonstrates the ability to organize workload in order to meet productivity standards.
- Complete initial documentation within 24 hours.
- Processes add-on orders within 24 hours.
- Follows frequency and duration outlined on initial orders/485.
- Completes documentation accurately the first time.
- Responsibly cares for tools/equipment issued by agency.
- Associate’s Degree or Graduate of a Technical School
- 2 to 5 Years of Position-Related Experience
Position-related experience includes:
- At least 2 years of experience in home health patient care.
- Ability to function independently, problem-solve, prioritize and make decisions.
- Good listening skills and ability to assess the needs of the home care team in an accepting manner.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills in relating to associates and outside support personnel.
- Sympathetic attitude toward the care of the sick with the ability to deal effectively in a hostile or emotional associate, patient or physician situation.
- Knowledge and competency to perform required documentation and patient care procedures as a Home Health Educator and to deal effectively with various demands of the job.
- Good computer skills and experience with Microsoft products helpful.
- Kansas Registered Nurse
- BCLS obtained from the American Heart Association Preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ Years of Position-Related Experience