Director Risk Management Corp Comp
Florida Hospital Heartland
Florida Hospital Heartland Medical Center has provided faith-based, whole person care to the community for more than 65 years. That means we take into consideration the mind, body and spirit when designing each of our services and developing personalized treatment plans for patients. In addition to offering all-private rooms, our campus includes a comprehensive fitness center, community education center, and resource library to help community members achieve optimal health. We also house the area’s largest hospital-based laboratory, radiology services, and comprehensive diagnostic and treatment facilities.
Awards and Recognition
As a member of Adventist Health System, we have received the Gallup Great Workplace Award five years in a row for having one of the most engaged and best performing workforces in the world. We have also achieved HIMSS Level 6 for our electronic medical record adoption.
On the weekends, you can enjoy exploring other nearby cities, including Brandenton, Sarasota, Tampa, Orlando and West Palm Beach. Each of these areas is located within a two-hour driving radius, and offers countless attractions, including theme parks, museums, concerts, beaches, sporting events, gardens and more.
You will be responsible for:
- Develops and implements the organization’s risk management program in a manner that fulfills the mission and strategic goals of the organization while complying with state and federal laws and accreditation standards related to risk management and safety.
- Develops and implements systems, policies and procedures for the identification, collection and analysis of risk related information.
- Educates and trains the leadership. Staff and business associates as to the risk management program, and their individual responsibilities in carrying out the risk management program.
- Leads, facilitates and advises departments in designing risk management plans within their own departments.
- Collects, evaluates and maintains data concerning patient injuries, claims, workers’ compensation and other risk related data
- Investigates events reviewing for patterns or trends that could result in sentinel or compensatory events. Helps to identify and implement corrective action where appropriate.
- Utilizes root cause analysis in reviewing sentinel events assuring that actions are taken in the specified time frames.
- Provides a quarterly summary to the Board of Directors on incidents, claims and claim payments
- Assists in processing summonses and claims against the organization by working with legal counsel to coordinate the investigation, processing and defense of claims.
- Actively participates in or facilitates committees related to risk management, safety and quality improvement
- Serves as the organization’s liaison to the corporate selected Patient Safety Organization overseeing the organizational Patient Safety Evaluation System Plan with is associated policies and procedures, as well as maintaining the documents and files related to the Patient Safety Organization and Patient Safety Evaluation System.
- Recommends decisions in settlements and /or defense strategies of claims in conjunction with legal counsel.
- Maintains files of occurrences and potential claims as well as documents appropriate to risk management.
- Consults with legal representatives, Corporate Director and Claims Administrator regarding risk evaluation and management.
- Assists in the selection, training, evaluation, discipline, scheduling, etc. of department personnel.
- Assists in compliance of departmental budget by taking responsibility for appropriate use of departmental equipment and supplies.
- Investigates and develops correction plans for events that must be reported to the State of Florida
- Writes and submits reports to the State of Florida pursuant to Florida Statute and Rule
- Responsible to help ensure that the safety and physical well-being of patients, family members, visitors and co-workers are maintained.
- Coordinates with and assists Patient Relations Manager in resolving complaints/grievances within specified time frames.
- Discusses special cases with the CEO, Medical Staff and Hospital Board as needed.
- Serves as the organization’s liaison to the organization’s insurance carrier..
- Serves as a hospital representative in legal cases.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What you will need:
- Thorough knowledge of Section 395.0197, Florida Statutes and its associated rule
- Entering, transcribing, recording, storing, or maintaining information in either written form or electronic/magnetic recording
- Speaking skills: Talking to others to effectively convey information
- Social perceptiveness: Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react the way they do
- Reading comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents
- Critical thinking: Using logic and analysis to identify the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches
- Active Listening: Listening to what other people are saying and asking questions as appropriate
- Writing: Communicating effectively with others in writing as indicated by the needs of the audience
- Medicine: Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures
- English Language: Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Computer: Knowledge in the use of the computer software utilized in the organization and the organization’s Electronic Medical Record
- Mathematics: Knowledge of numbers, their operations, and interrelationships including one or more of the following: arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications
- Education and training: Knowledge of instructional methods and training techniques including curriculum design principles, learning theory, group and individual teaching techniques, design of individual development plans, and test design principles (preferred)
- Management of personnel: Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job (preferred)
- Judgment and decision making: Weighing the relative costs and benefits of a potential action (preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, Business or related field
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Considerable experience in negotiations
- Ability to collect, analyze and trend data
- Florida RN license
- Florida Licensed Healthcare Risk Manager or obtain such license within 90 days of hire
- Certified Professional Healthcare Risk Manager (CPHRM) (preferred)
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) (preferred)