Phlebotomist Lab Aide II FT Variable Shift
Req #: 17009047
Location: Zephyrhills, FL
Job Category: Laboratory
Organization: Florida Hospital Zephyrhills
Florida Hospital Zephyrhills
You will be responsible for:
- Consistently draws blood competently and expediently with as little patient discomfort as possible.
- Selects the appropriate venipuncture technique based upon the age and condition of the patient
- Respects patient privacy by knocking before entering the room.
- Is considerate of patient’s need for rest. Adheres to “quiet time.” Advises patient before turning on overhead lighting when performing phlebotomy at night.
- Correctly identifies the patient, without exception, using 2 patient identifiers.
- Follows PPID procedures.
- Compares information on the patient armband with the order before proceeding with venipuncture
- Explains blood collection procedure to patient before proceeding.
- Labels all specimens collected at the bedside before leaving the patient care area.
- Displays courteous, professional manner towards patients, co-workers, nursing and medical staff.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Labels and records all test tubes and files paperwork
- Is knowledgeable about which color top tube to use and the volume of blood needed; understands test requirements
- Processes patient samples appropriately and delivers them to appropriate department and advises clinical staff of “STAT” orders
- Follows Standard Precautions at all times, to include hand hygiene before and after entering the patient room.
- Understands isolation precautions and uses appropriate PPE before entering room.
- Disposes all sharps in a rigid sharps container.
- Cleans, maintains and stocks phlebotomy carts and trays
- Maintains clean and uncluttered work areas.
- Performs data entry tasks in the laboratory computer system in an efficient manner
- Trains, teaches and share knowledge with new employees or students as required
What will you need:
- High school graduate or equivalent
- BLS from America Heart Association or any other agency approved by the Education Department at Florida Hospital Zephyrhills
- 1 Year of experience and eighty hours of training in the proper procedure to be employed in the performance of venipuncture and skin punctures under the supervision of the Chief Medical Technologist, Senior Phlebotomist (Preferred)
- Medical Assistant or Phlebotomy certification (Preferred)
- Additional languages (Preferred)