Phlebotomist Laboratory Assistant PRN Weekends
Req #: 17010045
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Job Category: Laboratory
Organization: FH North Pinellas
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Florida Hospital North Pinellas
You will be responsible for:
- Performs venipuncture according to SOP and with minimum trauma to patients.
- Greets patients using the AIDET model and labels specimens with 2 primary identifiers.
- Receives and accessions samples into the lab computer system and distributes samples to proper departments.
- Processes and prepares samples for testing for send-outs as well as in-house testing.
- Assists techs with minor pre-analytic duties as time permits.
- Prints collection summary reports to resolve problems concerning pending orders.
- Ensures proper and timely collection of requested labs including stats and timed collections.
- Distributes 24 hour urine containers with required preservative and instruction labels.
- Follows Infection Control policies for isolation patients and wears PPE appropriate for duties.
- Performs EKGs when required as part of the duties on the Outpatient Care Center.
- Registers Outpatients, Outreach and Contract patients in the LIS.
- Performs deletion of tests and crediting of test charges.
- Performs order entry of requested procedures in the LIS.
- Inventories, orders and maintains proper level of phlebotomy and office supplies.
- Handles telephone calls in a courteous manner accepting and transferring callers to proper areas.
- Faxes test results to physicians, nursing and other authorized agencies as required.
- Educates customers on special collection techniques.
- Serves as liaison between the laboratory and other hospital departments.
- Trains new staff on procedures involved with all job duties.
What will you need?
- General knowledge of pre-analytic laboratory testing functions.
- General knowledge of phlebotomy equipment and use.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Computer skills associated with laboratory information systems.
- Proficient in verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Must be detail oriented.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Completion of an accredited phlebotomy training program with certificate.
- One year experience as a Phlebotomist (Preferred)
- Experience working in a Hospital based laboratory (Preferred)
- Certified as a Phlebotomist by a national accrediting agency. (Preferred)