Nurse Manager Med/Surg FT
The manager is responsible to the DON (and Administration if applicable) in the planning, organizing, developing and directing day to day operations within regulatory guidelines, in accordance with the Hospital’s mission, Physician’s, and patient’s expectations. Develop and monitor the clinical integrity of their assigned program.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
All essential functions must be performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Evaluates staff performance based on professional practice standards, relevant statutes, rules and regulations, and organizational criteria.
- Participates in the analysis of care delivery systems and the development/implementation of changes to enhance delivery of patient care.
- Manages patient care according to standards and the nursing process.
- Directs and intervenes with staff to maintain optimum care of patients.
- Develops and evaluates the staff’s clinical competencies.
- Serves as a resource person to staffing the delivery of care.
- Counsels and gives constructive direction to personnel as necessary and documents appropriately.
- Evaluates, completes, and maintains staff evaluations in a timely manner.
- Completes 4 week schedule and posts 2 weeks prior to the start of the schedule.
- Participates in annual budget preparation for area of responsibility.
- Recommends staffing requirements based on volume, severity of illness, and standards for delivery of care.
- Manages productivity within budgeted parameters.
- Develops and proposes goals and plans for patient care area.
- Assures prompt resolution of charge capture discrepancies.
- Monitors patient length of stay and addresses issues.
- Participates in electronic medical record reviews and plans for staff development activities based on identified needs.
- Supports research and its integration into nursing and the delivery of healthcare services.
- Drives patient satisfaction outcomes by performing consistent Nurse Leader rounding and ensuring effective hourly nurse rounding.
- Maintains clinical competencies.
- Pursues educational and research opportunities for professional growth.
- Participates in community outreach programs.
- Serves as a liaison to the physicians, staff, and administration.
- Engaging our team through effective rounding on employees and other stakeholders (Rounding for Outcomes)
- Provides 24 hour oversight of assigned department.
- Promotes a safe working environment.
- Interviews/recommends hiring of appropriate staff
- Communicates information from assigned meetings
- Maintains regulatory reporting requirements within stated parameters
- Participates in committees / teams as a member or leader
- Provides proper notification for absences as per hospital policy as evidenced by T/A records.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Mental and emotional stability, demonstrating a courteous and calm approach to all contacts with patients, visitors, and health care team members.
- Mature judgment and the ability to handle confidential information within Florida Hospital guidelines and applicable regulations.
- Personal qualities such as kindness, compassion, understanding, integrity, respect, sense of humor, discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to learn and apply computer related applications and programs, including using electronic keyboards and other peripheral devices.
- Ability to communicate verbally in English and in written form with persons of varied backgrounds in a respectful, effective and professional manner.
- Critical thinking / problem solving skills.
- Teamwork, tact and conflict resolution.
- Organizational, multitasking and prioritization skills.
- Ability to provide leadership, direction, and solve complex problems.
- Accurate documentation within the electronic medical record.
- Ability to demonstrate proficiency in clinical skills, multi-tasking, and a professional bedside manner.
- Knowledgeable in assigned areas of patient care including health promotion and maintenance
- Communication and motivation skills.
- Knowledgeable of patient service line
- BSN, MSN or Masters in related field
- Demonstrates leadership & teaching abilities
- Three (3) years recent hospital experience in area of supervision.
- Current Florida RN License
- BLS – condition of employment
- ACLS prior to or within 90 days of employment or transfer (with the exception of Behavioral Health)
- Restraint Management Training, Face to Face within 90 days of employment
- Crisis Management within 90 days of hire (Required except for ED-LP and Psychiatric Unit Managers)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRES
Minimum of Diploma in Nursing
· Three (3) years of leadership experience
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· PALS/ENPC prior to or within 90 days of employment or transfer