Medical Technologist PRN
Req #: 17010233
Location: Zephyrhills, FL
Job Category: Laboratory
Organization: Florida Hospital Zephyrhills
Nights & Weekends
Florida Hospital Zephyrhills
Florida Hospital Zephyrhills has provided faith-based, whole person care to our community for more than 30 years. This means we build trust, create belonging and deliver hope, thereby extending the healing ministry of Christ, when caring for our patients
. Our 139-bed facility includes an Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI, Heart Institute, Primary Stroke Center, emergency department, state-of-the-art operating rooms, Bone & Joint Center, Simpson Breast Health Center and the area’s only Obstetrics Program, The Baby Place, offering family-centered maternity care. Other special services include, a Center for Wound Healing, CREATION® Health Wellness Center, CREATION® Health Spa, home health, imaging center, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, and physical, occupational, and speech therapy.
You will be responsible for:
- Responsible for the processing of laboratory specimens and reporting of results in all departments in the clinical laboratory.
- Maintains accurate laboratory records.
- Follows laboratory policies and procedures; maintains quality control practices.
- Performs proficiencies, competencies, validated laboratory procedures
- Able to function in all sections of the clinical laboratory for which they are licensed.
- Is capable and responsible for performing high-complexity testing.
- Properly performs quality control procedures and instrument checks. Takes appropriate actions when results are outside of acceptable range.
- Demonstrates knowledge of expected lab values for the neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient.
- When appropriate, correctly alters or adjusts methods and procedures for the neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult or geriatric patient, appropriate to patient age.
- Notifies patient care unit and/or physician of critical lab values, requests and documents result “readback”.
- Maintains accurate laboratory records on procedures performed, to include patient testing, calibrations and quality control results.
- Meets current documentation standards and follows established policies related to procedures performed for statistics and billing purposes.
- Interacts professionally with the Director of Clinical Laboratory, Pathologist and other healthcare providers. Communicates effectively regarding patient issues.
- Demonstrates support/responsibility for the overall functioning of the team. Interacts professionally co-workers, assisting as needed to complete outstanding work.
- Consults with other departments, as appropriate, to collaborate in patient care and performance improvement activities.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Follows standard precautions at all times with appropriate use of PPE.
- Manages and operates laboratory equipment safely and correctly. Follows established policies for equipment maintenance, reporting and documenting need for repair.
- Demonstrates knowledge of new testing methods, products, instrumentation; remains informed on all current technologies.
- Maintains current knowledge of hospital policy, JCAHO, state and other regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized, communicate effectively and function well under stressful situations.
- Demonstrates flexibility to adjust to the uneven workflow and changing priorities of the department.
- Demonstrates the value of team concept on a consistent basis.
What will you need:
- Associates Degree in Medical Technology
- State of Florida – Medical Technologist/Medical Technician in Hematology, Chemistry, Blood Bank, Microbiology, Serology and Immunology
- Medical Technologist National Certification (Preferred)
- Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology (Preferred)