Patient Care Tech II-PCU Medical 2 Unit PRN Days
Our fast-paced, 92-bed Progressive Care Unit relies on a team approach to offer patient-centered care in keeping with our mission of Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ. Nurses with excellent organization, communication and cardiac rhythm interpretation skills are needed to provide concentrated care in a 1:5 nurse to patient ratio for adult and geriatric patients with potentially life-threatening conditions. One year of experience in a progressive care setting is required; BLS with ACLS certification is preferred.
- Assisting patients with their activities of daily living including but not limited to basic hygiene, skin care, nutritional and dietary needs, elimination needs, physical activity needs and all comfort measures. Maintains respect and privacy at all times.
- Performing basic patient care unit routines including but not limited to the following: obtain and document vital signs (temperature, pulse, blood pressure, and respirations), passing ice water every 4 hours, keeping patient rooms stocked with gloves, replacing unit sharp containers per policy, keeping patient rooms in a reasonably clean and appropriate condition, keeping patient bedside trays within a safe reach at all times.
- Assisting with the collection and documentation of accurate intake and output information for assigned patients.
- Responding to patients request and needs in a timely manner.
- Informing Patient with plan of care task and activity that will be carried out.
- Functioning as an active team member in the delivery of safe competent therapeutic patient care.
- Demonstrating knowledge and ability to provide care and maintain safety to the following scope of patients, but not limited to, the medical patient, the orthopedic patient, the pre and post-surgical patient, and the telemetry-monitored patient.
- Recognizing the individual needs of each patient during the delivery of care.
- Conducting walking patient comfort and safety rounds every 30 minutes in assigned patient area.
- Assisting the nurse in the process of Admissions/Transfers/Discharges/Pre-Op/Post-Op Patient per hospital routine.
- Demonstrating competence in performing the following clinical tasks and procedures specific to the Patient Care Technician role as delegated: Obtaining the patient's accucheck results, informing the nurse of the results and documents the results per procedure; performing accucheck controls.
- Inserting a foley catheter using sterile technique in both the male and female patient. Discontinuing the patient’s foley catheter. Following-through with updating the nurse of the completed procedure and outcome.
- Discontinuing the saline lock or peripheral IV (Intravenous Line) of the patient. Following-through with updating the nurse of the completed procedure and observed outcome.
- Demonstrating knowledge & competence in the use of restraints, the application of restraints and the required monitoring & care of the patient in restraints.
- Demonstrating safety and efficient cost-effective outcomes with use of all supplies
- Assisting in the need of transportation of the following but not limited to: Transporting specimens to the lab. Running errands to pharmacy/material management or Lab. Transferring of patient from room to room or unit to unit as needed and directed.
- High School Graduate/GED
- Minimum of 6 months hospital experience in a patient care setting preferred
- Must have a State of Florida Certified Nursing Assistant/Nursing Assistant Certificate, Patient Care Technician certificate OR the equivalent of one year of nursing school education.
- Must maintain a current Basic Life Support Card.