Master HVAC Mechanic II Full Time Day
Req #: 17010486
Location: NEW SMYRNA, FL
Job Category: Facilities
Organization: Florida Hospital New Smyrna
Full Time, Day
Florida Hospital New SmyrnaSince 1954, Florida Hospital New Smyrna (formerly Bert Fish Medical Center) has served as the community hospital for Southeast Volusia County. Our more than 700 employees use an impressive array of technology and years of knowledge to provide exceptional care for every patient – every day. We offer a wide range of services, including a surgery program, radiology, an oncology center, cardiovascular services, a wound care center, outpatient diagnostic services, and one of the busiest emergency departments of any hospital our size.Qualifications
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Inspects, cleans, services, troubleshoots, diagnoses malfunctions, disassembles, replaces parts, repairs defective parts, reassembles, adjusts, tests and otherwise maintains a wide variety of cooling, refrigeration, freezing and air conditioning machinery equipment.
- Installs, insures proper refrigeration charge, adjusts, and operates a wide variety of refrigeration, ice machines, and air conditioning machinery and equipment throughout the hospital following industry standard practices and procedures.
- Performs periodic inspections, observing temperatures, pressures, flows, and chemical concentrations and records readings in appropriate logs.
- Makes periodic adjustments to equipment to maintain required operating temperatures and pressures.
- Performs preventive maintenance as scheduled on air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, chillers, pumps, cooling towers, and cleaning of condensers.
- Periodically checks and recharges refrigerant systems (locating leaks and making repairs) to ensure proper operation of a wide variety of cooling equipment.
- Sets-up and operates a wide variety of mechanical equipment, including oxyacetylene welding equipment.
- Uses a variety of hand held tools to make repairs. Installs mechanical components associated with the heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems.
- Performs checks and adjustments for proper air balance within rooms.
- Evaluates and corrects malfunctions in electrical and electronic controls of refrigeration equipment.
- Sizes, installs supply and return lines in new equipment.
- Repairs and maintains various types of ceiling, wall mount and roof-mount HVAC units and various sizes of roof-mount exhaust fans.
- Maintains records and documentation as required.Periodic Duties
- Evaluates installations by outside contractors to assure they meet all safety code requirements and maintains supporting documentation.
- Performs chemical tests on condenser water, chilled and hot water loops. Makes adjustments and adds chemicals as necessary to maintain proper chemical concentrations.
- Ordering of all necessary materials and tools.Irregular Duties
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Working knowledge of all HVAC test equipment including airflow instruments.
- The ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- Must be able to operate and properly use all departmental HVAC testing equipment, reclaim cylinders, VOH-OHM meters, drills, and ladders.
- Proficient in energy management systems
- Proficient in centrifugal chillers and pneumatic controls
- Physical effort requires walking and standing five (5) hours or more per shift.
- Frequently lifts items that weigh 50lbs or more.
- Attention to detail is needed as the equipment contains toxic refrigerants and chemicals. HVAC equipment involves working with high pressure steam and hot water. Unpleasant working conditions of high temperature exist. Exposure to hazardous conditions and chemicals occur daily.
- Must be able to wear a respirator and use all other safety equipment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- High school diploma
- 2 year Associates college degree in air conditioning/heating/refrigeration
- Ten (10) years’ experience in refrigeration, chiller, heating, and ventilation and air conditioning systems in a commercial or industrial setting.
- Five (5) years of building control systems experience preferably Siemens Controls.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
- 4 year Bachelors college degree
- Advanced technical degree
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
- A Class “A” or Mechanical License required. Equivalent experience and/or education such as a 2 year vocational or trade school may be substituted.
- EPA Universal Licenses for Freon recovery required. Must be able to recover, clean, and reuse Freon of all types (R-11, R-12, R-22,R-123, etc.).
Must possess and maintain a valid State of Florida driver's license.