Parent Education Lead Patient Education FT Days
Req #: 17010311
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
Job Category: Education
Organization: Shawnee Mission Medical Center
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and will soon include SMH - Blue Valley, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
· Exhibits professional, organized, independent and confident behaviors when educating parents and families.
· Maintains individual certifications to demonstrate current skills in group facilitation, curriculum development and presentation.
· Organized, collaborative and detail oriented in class presentation skills.
· Actively continues to increase knowledge base in the Parent and Family Education field.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
· Ability to empower families in their journey as new parents.
· Desire to continuously learn and expand upon current knowledge base.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· High school diploma
· Approved certification in specialty related to scope of classes that she is teaching.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· College degree
· One year previous experience in Parent Education field.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· Childbirth Preparation, Newborn Care, Natural Strategies and Refresher/VBAC classes -certification by nationally recognized agency such as ICEA or CAPPA.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
· Responsible for arriving 30 minutes prior to class for set up of class room and for clean up after class is over
· Maintains an orderly and safe classroom environment and knows how to access ancillary support if needed.
· Understands her role and knows how to access and utilize the hospital’s Emergency procedures, Code Blue, Code Pink, Rapid Response.
· Communicates openly and honestly with Program Coordinator.