Medical Technologist Fulltime Days
Req #: 17010496
Location: San Marcos, TX
Job Category: Laboratory
Organization: Central Texas Medical Center
Central Texas Medical Center
As a member of Adventist Health System, we believe that total health is achieved through a balance of physical, mental, social and spiritual well-being. With each patient’s unique circumstances in mind, our multi-disciplinary care teams provide a vast array of services, combining state-of-the-art technology with a personal commitment to creating an exceptional patient experience.
Our team members also enjoy outstanding care in the form of comprehensive health benefits, a friendly, faith-based work environment, and plenty of opportunities to learn and grow. In addition to earning the Gallup Great Workplace Award six years in a row, we have received a Mother-Friendly Worksite designation from the Texas Department of State Health Services.
Our 178-bed hospital includes a Level IV Emergency and Trauma Center, Women’s Center, Level II NICU, Sleep Improvement Center, Institute for Advanced Wound Care Healing, Rehabilitation Institute, home health and hospice care. Through our CREATION Health Institute, we also play an active role in offering free health education and community events to help support a healthy lifestyle.
You will be responsible for:
- Handles and tests clinical specimens for patients ranging in age from newborn to geriatric patients.
- Performs and evaluates quality control at the intervals and levels of acceptability as defined by the laboratory according to regulatory guidelines.
- Performs maintenance and function checks on all laboratory equipment and takes responsibility in troubleshooting instrumentation.
- Reports all “panic/critical” values according to lab policy based on approved ranges for each age group.
- Maintains accurate records of all remedial actions taken when QC, PM or function checks fail to meet established limits.
- Monitors computer system for system errors, incomplete reports and accurate order entry.
- Submits appropriate charge adjustments relative to test order cancellations and/or test order revisions.
- Assists laboratory support staff with clerical and phlebotomy tasks as required by staffing and patient volume including neonatal and infant “heel stick” procedures and all routine venipunctures.
What will you need?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical, Physical or Biological science or Medical Technology from an accredited institution.
- A minimum of 3 months’ experience (preferred)
- Current Registered Technologist (ASCP or equivalent)