Certified Hyperbaric Tech FT
Start Date 12/11/2017
Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel
Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel has provided faith-based, whole person care to the community since it opened in 2012. Every detail of our 83-bed facility is purposefully designed to create an environment of healing for mind, body and spirit. Our hospital is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment from outpatient services to our surgical suites and inpatient care. In 2013, we also opened a 50,000-square foot Health and Wellness Center that includes an indoor track, group exercise areas, and an aquatics center with a lap pool to help community members achieve optimal health. In August 2015, the hospital began construction on am expansion that will open in December of 2016, significantly increasing the number of inpatient beds, surgical suites, and emergency department rooms.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Performs duties in a timely manner and provides updates if delays occur
· Communicates with courtesy when interacting with internal or external customers, in person or on the telephone
· Helps ensure a safe environment for guests and staff
· Respects patient privacy, confidentiality and dignity
· Follows hospital and departmental Safety policies and procedures
· Wears name tag identification and is aware of role in minimizing Security incidents
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in Hazardous Materials and Waste Program, including procedures to follow in case of spill
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in Emergency Preparedness Program. Participates in Disaster Drills, as appropriate
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in the Life Safety Program and participates in Fire Drills as appropriate
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in the Medical Equipment Program and how to report malfunctioning equipment
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in the Utility Systems Program and the department’s response to utility failure
· Follows hospital and departmental Infection Control policies and procedures
· Demonstrates effective communication skills with all team members, patients and families
· Promotes the hospital image and maintains a helpful attitude towards employees, physicians patients, visitors and the community to enhance the hospitals reputation as a health care center
· Demonstrates evidence of adherence to the hospital confidentiality policy
· Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to perform patient assessments/interventions by identifying, physical, psychosocial and developmental needs and adapting interventions accordingly
· Communicates with parent/guardian regarding care issues and/or concerns per the plan of care (which is based on level of family comprehension, understanding, and readiness to learn)
· Maintains a safe environment utilizing appropriate equipment and safety devices, based on patients age and level of cognition
· Performs procedures utilizing approaches and equipment appropriate to patients age and size
· Demonstrates ability to interpret age specific data and plan and implement care base on interpretation of assessment findings.
· Provides patient/parent education based on assessed education level, barriers to learning, and learning preferences
· Prepares the hyperbaric chamber, equipment, medicine and materials as needed for patients undergoing hyperbaric oxygen therapy
· Operates, maintains and ensures the safety of the hyperbaric facility and all associated systems and equipment
· Explains purpose and procedure of hyperbaric treatment of the patient
· Carries out hyperbaric oxygen therapy treatment protocols as prescribed by the Hyperbaric Physician
· Observes the patients and the hyperbaric systems during the course of hyperbaric oxygen treatment. Reports unusual occurrences to hyperbaric physician and records patients condition
· Maintains operating, maintenance and safety logs and other required documentation. Signs all logs as specified in departmental policy and procedure
· Maintains the cleanliness of the hyperbaric oxygen therapy equipment as per departmental policy
· Performs preventive and any other required maintenance on the hyperbaric system
· Assists with transport of patients as required
· Assists in maintaining an appropriate inventory of all departmental supplies
· Maintains department in a clean, neat and orderly condition
· Reports treatments to be conducted and condition of patients to relief personnel
· Operates departmental photography equipment and maintains patient’s photographic files as prescribed in departmental policy and procedure
· Must be able to pass an annual divers physical
· Must maintain visual observation and/or audible contact with the hyperbaric control panel and patients in hyperbaric chambers at all times.
· If hyperbaric technologist leaves the hyperbaric room/environment, for any reason, they are responsible for obtaining coverage during their absence. Both the requesting and covering employee are responsible for the observation and management of the hyperbaric environment and patient safety.
· Observes hyperbaric systems and patient during the course of hyperbaric oxygen treatment at all times. Reports unusual occurrences to the hyperbaric physician and Medical Director to oversee, manage and train, staff within the department.
· Works with the Wound Institute Director to facilitate and maintain lines of communication with the various ancillary departments utilized by the department.
· Provides chamber system orientation to patients prior to Hyperbaric time.
· Keeps safety activity log.
· Understands location of pertinent safety and procedure manuals, competent to complete daily and weekly chamber forms, pre-dive checklists and recording of compression of the chamber.
· Establishes and maintains communications and utilizes teaching opportunities with patients, and other significant individuals relating (i.e. Hyperbaric Patient Orientation).
· Initiates and participates in Continuous Quality Improvement, Performance Improvement and risk management programs with a primary focus on safety and improvement of services provided.
· Assists with or institutes emergency measures for sudden adverse developments in patients such as cardiac arrest or other emergencies.
· Participates in the maintaining a clean and safe environment.
· Participates in Hospital Safety Committee.
· Demonstrates respect for co-workers and develops positive working relationships with other departments
· Maintains a professional appearance and manner and adheres to the Hospital dress standards
· Maintains satisfactory participation and attendance at required and non-required meetings and staff development programs
· Takes an active role in hyperbaric medicine education programs as well as in orienting hospital and other personnel to hyperbaric oxygen therapy and the Hyperbaric Medicine Department
· All female employees must submit to a monthly pregnancy test if they undergo chamber compression
What will you need:
· Graduate from an accredited EMT school or equivalent medical training may be substituted with Qualification as a US Navy Deep Diving Medical Technician or Special Operations Technician
· High School Diploma/GED
· One year clinical hyperbaric experience
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· Completetion of UHMS Approved Safety Director Course.
· Ability to demonstrate knowledge, training and experience in hyperbaric chamber maintenance and minor repair
· Operational knowledge of NFPA99, gas handling, Hyperbaric Safety Codes, PVHOI and 2 CGA and other safety related Guidelines.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· Current Florida EMT license and/or military experience
· Current BLS upon hire
· Current HT certification upon hire
· Attend a UHMS approved hyperbaric course within 6 months of hire date