Med Lab Scientist Full-Time Nights
-40hrs/week, 4 x 10hrs 9:00pm-7:30am
-Work 8 days Wed-Wed, off 6 days Thu-Tues
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
As the largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes three campuses; Shawnee Mission Medical Center (SMMC) in Merriam, SMH - Prairie Star in Lenexa, and our newest campus: SMH - Overland Park at 159th and Antioch. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally-recognized. We have eleven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as four Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.
- Shares technical knowledge with co-workers; assists with training & orientation of new employees/students & serves as a resource to current staff, students, & physicians.
- Demonstrates initiative in work and other activities.
- Adjusts to changing customer needs by adapting work habits, schedules, or matters of personal convenience to improve service.
- Attendance pattern reflects commitment to job requirements & patient care needs.
- Demonstrates & models positive behaviors which are supportive of change.
- Shows enthusiasm in the workplace; actively involved in promoting morale & encouraging others.
- Seeks opportunities to work cooperatively with other members of the hospital & system.
- Assist in the training of new associates.
- Willingly assists other associates during times of high volume workload.
- Works independently.
- Uses time efficiently when regular workload is done.
- Cross-trained between laboratory areas.Participates in and maintains competency requirements.
- Recognizes limitations & asks for assistance/instruction when necessary.
- Limits personal phone calls & business so as not to compromise productivity.
- Takes responsibility for own actions; openly admits mistakes & seeks ways to correct the problem.Responds in a professional manner to customer requests & inquiries, assuming responsibility for seeing them through to completion.
- Receives, prioritizes, and processes specimens in a timely manner to meet or exceed turnaround time standards.
- Performs & monitors the collection of laboratory specimens.
- Performs testing according to established procedures.
- Evaluates & interprets data based on knowledge of numerous factors affecting test results.
- Verifies normal & confirms abnormal results; provides appropriate communication & documentation in accordance with section protocols & in compliance with all accrediting & regulatory agencies.
- Recognizes critical results & documents action taken according to established policies.
- Utilizes critical thinking to recognize & resolve problems, documents corrective actions, and communicates to team.
- Performs & evaluates quality control, equipment maintenance, and instrument calibration as needed.
- Uses the LIS efficiently to order tests, enter results/documentation, & obtain information, in keeping with established protocols.
- Recognizes that the attainment of knowledge is every employee’s responsibility & accepts accountability for staying current on all written or electronic communication.
- Enhances technical expertise & professional knowledge by participation in mandatory & continuing education opportunities.
- Maintains clean, well-stocked, & organized work area.
- Understands & utilizes department resources, including department manuals, administrative policy manuals, safety manuals, MSDS & other reference material.
- Utilizes Personal Protective Equipment and follows established chemical hygiene & biohazard protocols.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology
- Medical Technologist or Medical Laboratory Scientist (ASCP) certification
- 1 to 2 Years of Position-Related Experience Preferred