Triage Assistant PRN Emergency Department
Req #: 17011385
Location: Killeen, TX
Job Category: Patient Care
Organization: Metroplex Hospital
Metroplex Health System
As a member of Adventist Health System, we believe that total health is achieved through a balance of physical, mental, social and spiritual well-being. With each patient’s unique circumstances in mind, our multi-disciplinary care teams provide a vast array of services, combining state-of-the-art technology with a personal commitment to creating an exceptional patient experience.
Our team members also enjoy outstanding care in the form of comprehensive health benefits, a friendly, faith-based work environment, and plenty of opportunities to learn and grow.
Our multi-facility campus includes 148 acute-care beds at Metroplex Adventist Hospital in Killeen, 60 psychiatric care beds in the nearby Metroplex Behavioral Health Center, and 25 beds at Rollins Brook Community Hospital in Lampasas. Through this Metroplex Health System, we offer a Women’s Center, Sleep Disorder Center, Endoscopy Center, Pediatric Rehabilitation Center, ICU, PCU, ED, imaging, surgery, home health services, and more.
What you will responsible for:
- The Metroplex Health System’s Emergency Department (ED) is a 38 bed ED. The ED is divided into two areas; one area with 30 beds (25 exam rooms and 5 critical care rooms) and one area with eight beds capable of handling behavioral health (BH) patients and Fast Track (FT) patients. Also included is a 7 chair Turbo Track area to accommodate level 4-5 patients. The ED is a Trauma Level IV designated trauma center, Chest Pain Center with primary PCI and resuscitation, and Primary Stroke Center.
- The ED Technician is a certified healthcare provider that provides direct patient centered care in a critical care area as part of a multidisciplinary team. The ED Tech provides patient-centered care to a population within the age range of newborn to geriatric.
- The ED Technician works full time, part time or PRN. Variable shifts to meet the needs of the department which operates 24 hour a day, seven days a week. Weekend work is required.
The ED Technician performs a wide variety of job duties during their shifts; promotes and restores patients’ health by collaborating with physicians and multidisciplinary team members, providing emotional, physical and spiritual support to the patients and their families.
The ED Technician is under the supervision of the Nurse Manager and the assigned Nurse Leaders. Actual roles and tasks may vary depending upon the area assigned.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs, properly documents and reports all procedures in accordance with departmental and hospital policy
- Recognizes potential emergency/life threatening situations and notifies Nurse Leader or ED Provider
- Demonstrates skill and judgement necessary to implement physician’s orders, procedures and protocols of care, and provide quality patient care
- Remains flexible to changing systems, is expected to demonstrate quality and effectiveness in work habits and treat staff, physicians, patients and families with consideration and respect
- Understands computer downtime procedures
- Understands the Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE) process and proficiently uses the electronic medical record (EMR) for retrieval of patient information
- Performs safe patient care by utilizing the PPID processes.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and protects patient’s health information
- Maintains a cooperative relationship among health care teams by effectively communicating information, responding to requests, building rapport, participating in team problem solving methods
- Has knowledge of and understands current TJC Standards for the clinical aspect of the department
- Advocates for the patients and promotes healthy teamwork with the multidisciplinary team
- Is proactive in efforts to facilitate patient flow through the ED
- Maintains a safe and clean work environment by complying with policies and procedures
- Maintains licensure, skills and education required to work in the ED
- Positively supports Performance Improvement (PI) in the ED
- Attends mandatory scheduled staff meetings
- Attends mandatory trainings/in-services/skills labs/education opportunities
- Participates in providing patient specific care standards as directed, and follows service excellence standards to ensure high levels of patient satisfaction
- Reports suspected abuse to Nurse Leader
- Performs treatments and general patient care within scope of practice and under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse or Licensed Vocational Nurse
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure the smooth operation of the Emergency Department
What you will need:
- Current Texas certification or registry as a CNA, EMT, MA or EMT-Paramedic as appropriate
- BLS (Basic Life Support) - upon hire
- CPI (Nonviolent Crisis Intervention) – within the first three months of hire
- IV therapy class – within the first three months of hire
- Current Texas certification or registry as a CNA, MA, EMT or EMT-Paramedic as appropriate
- Skills to maintain an effective working relationship with health professionals and others to create an environment that is conducive to carrying out the mission of the facility
- Skills to communicate (verbal and written) effectively to direct the overall professional nursing services in a manner which encourages the open exchange of ideas and information