Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) / EMT Emergency Department PRN or Full Time 1p-1a
Req #: 17011947
Location: Burleson, TX
Job Category: Patient Care
Organization: Texas Health Huguley FWS
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Texas Health Huguley Hospital Fort Worth South
Operated as a joint venture between Texas Health Resources and Adventist Health System, we believe that total health is achieved through a balance of physical, mental, social and spiritual well-being. With each patient’s unique circumstances in mind, our multi-disciplinary care teams provide a vast array of services, combining state-of-the-art technology with a personal commitment to creating an exceptional patient experience.
Our team members also enjoy outstanding care in the form of comprehensive health benefits, a friendly, faith-based work environment, and plenty of opportunities to learn and grow. In addition to earning the Gallup Great Workplace Award six years in a row, we were also recognized as one of “150 Great Places to Work” by Becker’s Hospital Review.
Our 224-bed hospital includes a medical ICU, cardiovascular ICU, PCU, open heart surgery center and behavioral health. In addition, we have accredited programs in orthopedics, chest pain, and inpatient diabetes, plus an award-winning emergency department.
You will be responsible for:
The Patient Care Assistant, under the supervision of licensed nurses, will perform a variety of specific patient care activities and non-professional services necessary to meet all needs of the patient and consistent with goals, philosophy and policy and procedures of the Emergency Room and hospital administration. To assist in patient care and relieve nursing personnel of clerical duties.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with patient care as directed by the professional staff to facilitate on-going quality care. Maintains and demonstrates competency in performing all required patient care skills.
- Performs EKG's on patients as directed and makes sure the EKG is seen by the ordering physician and/or charge nurse.
- Collects lab specimens, blood, urine, feces, etc. as ordered. Ensures that specimens are properly labeled in patient room after checking two identifiers (name and birth date) and sent to lab or placed in designated area for POC lab staff.
- Performs other procedures such as foley catheter insertion, IV insertion after competency demonstrated, applying cardiac monitor, apply dressings, irrigating ears, assisting with pelvic exams and any other procedure where competency has been demonstrated and at the direction of professional staff.
- Demonstrates sterile technique in applying gloves, setting up suture trays, etc. after demonstrated technique.
- Demonstrates competence and proficiency in obtaining vital signs and weights. Performs repeat vital signs as directed by nursing/physician staff.
- Charts all procedures performed as appropriate in First Net.
- Informs RN and/or physician of any patient changes or alteration in status immediately.
- Assists with application of splints, ice packs, catheter insertions, etc., as directed.
- Assists with transporting patients to patient care rooms and / or inpatient rooms as instructed.
- Assists staff in bringing patient to available rooms and helping with overall flow of ER patients.
- Rounds on ER patients and families and gives updates as needed.
- Facilitates the delivery of patient care and provides for the smooth functioning of the department by assuming the clerical duties associated with patient care activities which are not restricted to the professional care giver.
- Assists with discharge of patients as requested by nursing staff. May type discharge instructions if requested.
- Assists in In-house admitting.
- Ensures that each patient is arm-banded, 100% of the time.
- Updates waiting patients to department crisis and/or extra busy time. Assists nursing staff with patient rounding during shift.
- Notifies appropriate departments of special procedures that need to be done. Directs test results to appropriate charts, units and departments.
- Assists physicians/nursing staff in locating charts, reports and equipment.
- Assists with moving charts to re-evaluation rack in room 17 when testing resulted.
- Checks, orders and distributes supplies and forms, according to unit policy, to maintain necessary supply without stock piling, as observed by care manager, with less than three (3) variances per year.
- Participates in team work to contribute to the efficient operation of the unit.
- Adapts and responds positively when unexpected changes occur in staffing or workload. Avoids negativity when asked to perform job duties. Consistently initiates positive communication with staff when workload is high.
- Remains in assigned work area and/or keeps RN informed of whereabouts throughout the assigned shift at all times.
- Assists with unit errands when requested. Volunteers for errands and additional duties.
- Maintains neat and organized appearance of nursing station with all supplies in appropriate place and nursing desk orderly as observed by director, or unit manager.
- Associate remains flexible to changing systems, is expected to demonstrated quality and effectiveness in work habits and treat staff, physicians, patients and families with consideration and respect.
- Understands the Computerized Physician Order entry process and proficiently uses the electronic medical record for retrieval of patient information.
- Understands computer downtime procedures.
- Monitors Electronic Medical Record for new physician orders and diagnostic results.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Nursing student with one semester completed, EMT, Paramedic, or medical experience in lieu of education.
- Six (6) months experience in a medical environment required.
- Computer literacy is required.