Patient Accounts Specialst (Medicare Biller) Patient Financial Services FT Days
Req #: 17012251
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
Job Category: Patient Financial Services
Organization: Shawnee Mission Medical Center
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and will soon include SMH - Blue Valley, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.Qualifications
The Patient Accounts Specialist provides support to the Patient Financial Services department in a key area such as billing, follow-up, denial/variance, cash posting, or customer service. They will be responsible for responding to incoming calls and customer requests in a timely manner as well as responding timely to all other correspondence (fax, mail, etc.) from attorneys, patients, payers, and outside vendors. The Patient Accounts Specialist will need to have experience in the area of customer service, billing and AR management, and will foster a patient-focused environment in the Patient Financial Services department. The Patient Account Specialist maintains acceptable standards of service and provides assistance in creating a vision for the area which reflects the vision and values of Shawnee Mission Medical Center.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for account follow-up on all assigned accounts, as well as manage workflows based on department guidelines.
- Determine and take appropriate action for delinquency and non-payment of accounts.
- Review, identify, and correct billing errors and resubmit claims or additional information needed to insurance carriers as necessary, per hospital guidelines.
- Ensures daily productivity is maintained and coordinate with billing and denials/variance team to assist in shortening account resolution times
- Maintains expert knowledge of appropriate claims submission, payment and collection regulations are adhered to.
- Answer inquiries received via telephone & other correspondence for patients/guarantors, insurance carriers, and departments as needed.
- Work effectively with Microsoft applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Have the ability to prioritize based on importance and departmental goals.
- Be detail oriented, well organized, and able to work independently and part of a team.
- Participate in continuing education initiatives.
- Complete special tasks and projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Medical Terminology
- Experience in Hospital Billing and AR Management and/or Customer Service
- Technical, analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Ability to multitask and be autonomous
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
- Medicare billing
- Working knowledge of CMS Guidelines - LCSs and NCDs
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
- 1 to 2 Years of Position-Related Experience