Pre-Access Operations Manager FT Days
Req #: 17012714
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
Job Category: Patient Financial Services
Organization: Shawnee Mission Medical Center
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and will soon include SMH - Blue Valley, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.Qualifications
The Patient Access Operations Manager of Pre-Access will manage and coordinate a variety of functions within the Pre Access Center relating to hospital outpatient scheduling, physician office referrals, co-pay/financial collection, financial counseling, pre-registration, insurance verification, inpatient pre-certification and gathering patient demographic information. The Operations Manager of Pre-Access will coordinate the pre access process with medical, nursing and clinical staff to ensure appropriate placement of patients. Maintain liaison with physician offices, insurance companies, health maintenance organizations, managed care contract companies. Maintain liaison with physicians, nurses and administrative staff to resolve problems and to address interdepartmental complaints. The Operations manager will coordinate information services provided by patient information desks and clinical customer services. Prepare and/or assist with special reports as requested by management. Plan and schedule work for the group ensuring proper distribution of assignments and adequate manning, space and facilities for subsequent performance of duties. Oversee all personnel actions including, but not limited to hiring, performance appraisals, promotions, transfers, and vacations schedules. Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein. Operations Manager of Pre-Access must have experience with running a call center, physician office referral experience as well as extensive management experience. The Operations Manager must have extensive clinical knowledge and background. The Operations Manager must work extensively with the Radiology & Cardiology departments and leaders to ensure that quality and accurate work is always the outcome. The Operations Manager of Pre-Access will also be responsible for overseeing the processes, quality and efficiencies of every duty and responsibility of the Pre-Access Center. The Operations Manager will work closely with the Director of Patient Access as well as each Clinical Director to ensure that the quality, education and standards are shared and met. The Operations Manager will be responsible for streamlining processes while promoting quality, increasing patient and employee satisfaction while adhering to all regulatory rules of the hospital, State and/or departmental policy.
The Operations Manager will foster the integration of the organization’s vision and values and accomplishes the mission and strategic plan through an accountable work team. As a member of the multidisciplinary team, the Operations Manager collaborates with patients/customers, families, physicians, administration and associates to meet customer needs and expectations for a patient focused and healing environment.
The Operations Manager will monitor and evaluate stats provided by the Patient Access Quality Analyst and will set and monitor goals in accordance with Patient Access Corporate metrics and standards. Additional duties and related work as required and assigned by management.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Manage & supervise all Pre-Access associates & department functions
· Works to streamline current job process therefore, saving time, money and need for additional employees
· Strives to meet monthly and annual upfront cash collection goals
· Maintains department monthly RQI score of 98%
· Works to continually improved the employee satisfaction scores as measured by the Gallup Q12 survey
· Develops new procedures to improve the quality and quantity of work performed in Pre Access Dept.
· Evaluates performance and recommends merit increases, promotions and disciplinary actions
· Remain current with EMTALA regulations and how they affect Patient Access
· Training/Mentoring of New Employees
· Attends Patient Access Team Meetings
· Supports the goals of the entire Patient Access Department
· Demonstrates and conveys a favorable image of the Patient Access Dept.
· Maintains professionalism in stressful situations
· Professional appearance in accordance with Patient Access & SMMC dress code
· Supports and adheres to organizational policies, procedures and protocols
· Interacts in professional and collaborative manner with coworker and customers
· Works well across department boundaries
· Fosters respectful work area
· Honors patient dignity, privacy and diversity
· Demonstrates and conveys a favorable image of Shawnee Mission Medical Center
· Incorporates patient, physician, customer needs and concerns into decision-making and organizational action
· Cooperates and contributes in the team atmosphere
· Ensures adherence to Corporate integrity plan
· Adheres to hospital/department compliance program
· Adheres to Human Resources Policy of Standards and Conduct at all times
· Maintains confidentiality of patient information and patient records
· Does not use work time to handle matters of “personal nature”
o Receives and resolves incoming telephone inquiries and complaints in a timely manner
o Responsible for incoming correspondence with patients, managers and administration
o Establishes payment arrangements in accordance with department policy
o Has general understanding of managed care contracts
o Educates all new incoming Pre Access associates
o Attends training as provided by the department
· Promotes a positive image of SMMC in a manner consistent with our mission and values to associates, visitors, patients and physicians
· Establishes effective working relationships with ancillary departments involved with Radiology issues and activities.
· Initiates communication with Radiology leadership to discuss appropriate issues related to pre-access functions.
· Operates Cerner System proficiently, trouble shorts problems with orders and makes corrections. Ensures that daily work logs and incomplete exam reports are reviewed and verified.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Understanding hospital Revenue Cycle and its various functions
· Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Word
· Extensive Medical Terminology
· Proficient in time management with superior prioritization skills.
· Self-motivator and quick thinker who is proactive and results oriented.
· Strong competence in Excel, PowerPoint & Word.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Associate’s Degree or Graduate of a Technical School with 7+ Years of Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree with 5 to 7 Years of Position-Related Experience
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· Master’s degree
· 10+ Years of Position Related Experience
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
· Certification by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologist, or American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography or a Certified Nuclear Medicine Technologist or equivalent healthcare professional certifying organization
Full management responsibilities for all departments within cost center