Certified Medical Assistant Full Time Days Gordon Hospital
The Front Office Floater works under the direct supervision of the Front Office Coordinator, Office Coordinator, and/or Practice Manager, and in cooperation with other office staff in assisting with safe and effective patient care in compliance with established standards and protocols of Gordon Physicians Group, Gordon Hospital, and Adventist Health Systems’ goals and objectives.
The Front Office Floater works in various practice locations and is responsible for supporting primary care as well as specialty practices.
Responsible for all front office functions including patient registration, check-in, check-out, collecting copayments, deductibles, and any other patient owed account balance at both check-in and check-out, appointment schedule, answering and directing incoming telephone calls, filing, medical records, and all other duties as assigned by their direct supervisor and/or Practice Manager.
Additional responsibilities include compliance in ensuring all required patient paperwork has been received, completed, updated, and filed into patient record, in accordance to the clinic, Gordon Hospital, Adventist Health Systems, and any other state and/or federally mandated requirements.
- Greets all patients and visitors with a smile in a prompt, courteous, and helpful manner.
- Patient Registration Paperwork – New Patients: Ensures all patient paperwork is completed either prior to or upon patient check-in and prior to patient being seen by provider. Ensures all paperwork is scanned and/or uploaded into patient account/electronic health record (EHR) in a digital format.
- Schedules patient appointments for appropriate clinic and/or provider. This includes all new patients, established patients, follow up appointments, and any/all other appointments within the office as appropriate including lab, x-ray, nurse visits, allergy shots, other office based diagnostic, and so forth.
- Obtains and maintains the patient’s current insurance information. This includes obtaining, viewing, and/or scanning patient’s insurance card(s) into the EPM system and updating patient’s insurance information in EPM system (including entering insurance effective and termination dates).
- Obtains and reviews patient verification through appropriate identification. This includes viewing and/or scanning patient identification (such as driver’s license) into the EPM system at each visit.
- Checks patient insurance eligibility information for every visit to include frequently checking online/real time eligibility for active insurance information, confirmation of current/active insurance, patient co-payment amounts and/or other patient amounts due to be collected prior to the patient’s appointment; verification of Medicaid and/or Medicare status; and possible restrictions on number of visits as directed by insurance. (For example Medicaid allows X number of visits per year.)
- Supports and/or maintains appointment schedule for providers and office services by coordinating scheduling changes with Office Coordinator and/or Practice Manager and other clinic staff members. This may include: blocking/unblocking appointment times, opening/closing provider schedules, assisting other staff members in making appointments, and ensuring scheduling changes/requests have been properly approved by Office Coordinator/Practice Manager and/or other key management personnel.
- Answers and directs telephone calls received into the clinic with a friendly and helpful tone.
- Collects copays, self-pay deposits, and other patient balances due upon check-in.
- Posts charges, payment, and/or appropriate discounts at check-out for self-pay patients, calculates appropriate self-pay discounts, reconciles self-pay net charges with self-pay up front deposits and either refunds or collects additional money due.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent and graduation from a vocational or other technical school with training or apprenticeship. Proficiency must be attained via on-the-job training and orientation within three (3) months
- Use of Computers, telephone, fax machine, copier, stethoscope, EKG machine, pulse oximeter, oxygen devices, wheelchairs, stretchers, scales, glucose monitor, and other patient care equipment necessary to perform required duties as appropriate to the scope of the practice.
- Prefer Minimum six (6) months customer service experience in medical office. Graduation from a vocational or other technical school with training or apprenticeship.
- Certification in Front Office Administration, preferred