Medical Laboratory Technician Full Time Nights Gordon Hospital
Req #: 17012751
Location: Calhoun, GA
Job Category: Laboratory
Organization: Gordon Hospital and Murray Medical Center
Gordon Hospital is a 69-bed community hospital that is a member of Adventist Health System, the largest not-for-profit Protestant healthcare system in the world. We provide high quality, personalized and compassionate care to its patients and community. Through our dedication to safety, rigorous self-assessment, performance improvement, corporate integrity, and service management, we are committed to being the pre-eminent provider of acute inpatient and outpatient healthcare services for the residents of Calhoun, Gordon County, and surrounding areas.Qualifications
Under the immediate supervision of the Laboratory Manager, the Medical Technician performs clinical testing in one or more of the following areas of the laboratory: Blood Bank, Microbiology, Serology, Chemistry, Hematology and Urinalysis. A Medical Technician obtains or receives specimens, performs clinical laboratory tests by standardized procedures, understands method principle, performs quality control, performs preventative maintenance, and interprets results as to accuracy, acceptability and critical limits. The Medical Technician works with a certified Medical Technologist either on duty or on technical standby, organizing work to meet established deadlines, records all data obtained and maintains job competence. The position also involves effective communication and interpersonal skills.
You will be responsible for:
- Build collaborative professional relationships to create quality healthcare
- Work independently in a professional team-oriented environment
- Has written and oral communication skills adequate to comprehend technical material and communicate with medical professionals.
- Accountability to learn and implement processes that improves laboratory standards.
- Perform testing within the approved guidelines to meet turnaround time standards and maintain quality patient care.
- Perform and interpret various testing procedures on donor and hospital specimens, and blood products. Repeat test where appropriate
- Provide information for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease
- Receives written or electronic requests from physicians for routine or special laboratory tests.
- Perform moderately complex testing and proficiency testing according to CLIA, GHR, AABB and JCAHO standards in chemistry, hematology, urinalysis, blood bank, and microbiology. These duties include pre-analytical functions and/or STAT testing during off shifts and/or weekends. This may include temporary work assignments and phlebotomy duties as warranted.
- Perform clinical laboratory examinations on body fluids and exudates utilizing quantitative, qualitative, or automated methods. Performs any chemical, immunochemical or microbiological test for which competency has been validated to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Assist supervisors and co-workers in the daily operation of all areas of the laboratory.
- Able to solve most problems and handle difficult situations with little or no supervision.
- Practices clinical laboratory science as a generalist, which means is responsible for the examination of materials or specimens taken from the human body to provide information or materials for use in the diagnosis, prevention or treatment of a disease or the assessment of a medical condition. This includes the pre-analytical, analytic, and the post-analytic phases of such examinations.
- Perform, review, approve and maintain quality control testing on products reagent, equipment and various testing kits.
- Maintain all reagents according to manufacturers and regulatory guidelines.
- Perform and maintain maintenance records for daily, weekly, monthly, annual and as needed maintenance on all equipment.
- Perform calibrations on all equipment.
- Sets up and adjusts laboratory instrumentation as required.
What will you need?
- 1 year of approved clinical laboratory experience
- Associate in Science degree in Medical Laboratory Technician, biology, chemistry, or related science preferred or appropriate college classes to meet certification requirements.
- MLT ASCP or any other nationally recognized certification agency.
- Computers, telephone, fax, copier, printers, chemistry, hematology, coagulation, urinalysis, blood bank and microbiology analyzers, glucometers, incubators, environmental hood, monitored refrigerators and freezers, centrifuges, phlebotomy chairs and supplies.
- ASCP or any other nationally recognized certification agency preferred.