Registered Nurse (RN) Medical Surgical Full Time Nights
Req #: 17013016
Location: San Marcos, TX
Job Category: Nursing
Organization: Central Texas Medical Center
Central Texas Medical Center
As a member of Adventist Health System, we believe that total health is achieved through a balance of physical, mental, social and spiritual well-being. With each patient’s unique circumstances in mind, our multi-disciplinary care teams provide a vast array of services, combining state-of-the-art technology with a personal commitment to creating an exceptional patient experience.
Our team members also enjoy outstanding care in the form of comprehensive health benefits, a friendly, faith-based work environment, and plenty of opportunities to learn and grow. In addition to earning the Gallup Great Workplace Award six years in a row, we have received a Mother-Friendly Worksite designation from the Texas Department of State Health Services.
Our 178-bed hospital includes a Level IV Emergency and Trauma Center, Women’s Center, Level II NICU, Sleep Improvement Center, Institute for Advanced Wound Care Healing, Rehabilitation Institute, home health and hospice care. Through our CREATION Health Institute, we also play an active role in offering free health education and community events to help support a healthy lifestyle.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The registered nurse is responsible for assessing, evaluating, implementing and planning patient centered care for all assigned patients on the unit during his/her shift, according to the standards of care of Central Texas Medical Center. Is able to perform basic nursing functions in all care areas.
- Responsible for gathering and documenting complete data on each new admission to the unit. Responsible for compiling and maintaining accurate documentation in the plan of care on each patient including, but not limited to, spiritual care, end of life decisions, supplies and procedures, admission screen, patient and family teaching and counseling, and clinical path.
- Actively participates in continuous quality improvement.
- Manages all assigned personnel, supplies and equipment and promotes and participates in teamwork with physicians and personnel of this and other departments.
- Directs the work of LVNs, CNAs, unit clerk, nurse techs, and students. Follows all departmental safety policies and procedures regarding patient care and one’s personal protection and patient safety. Develops self professionally and participates in hospital and departmental activities.
- Understands the Computerized Physician Order Entry process and proficiently uses the electronic medical record for retrieval of patient information.
- Understands computer downtime procedures.
- Monitors Electronic Medical Record for new physician orders and diagnostic results.
- Completes other tasks as assigned.
When functioning in a charge nurse capacity, assigns duties to all team members and provides supervision as needed, based on skill mix and acuity. Provides report to oncoming shift charge nurse. Directly supervises a total of 2-12 employees in the following department: Medical/Surgical Nursing. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units and their employees.
Directly supervises all non-exempt (hourly) employees in the following departments: Medical/Surgical Nursing.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. In conducting these activities, the Charge Nurse will exercise independent judgment and discretion in the interest of Central Texas Medical Center. Provides input to Department Manager/Director which includes, but is not limited to, training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work, addressing complaints and resolving problems. Responsible for a patient load as necessary. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.Qualifications
What you will need:
- Be a graduate from an accredited school of nursing and six months to one year related experience and/or training.Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing preferred
- Current certificate in C.P.R.
- Current certificate in ACLS within 3 months of hire
- Current license as an RN in the state of Texas
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Effective communication among employees, and between employees, patients, visitors and supervisors is essential to ensure quality patient care and to avoid misunderstanding, errors and miscommunications which could have a detrimental effect on the health, safety and well-being of patients and co-workers. In addition to these communication and safety concerns, individuals in this position must be able to effectively review patient and related medical records, understand nurse and/or physician verbal and written instructions, read labels of medications, read safety information, and hazardous chemicals. Therefore, to prevent misunderstandings, errors, and miscommunications in the provision of quality patient care and other job-related services, employees in this position are required to have the capability of fluently speaking, reading, and writing English.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Must have some knowledge and experience in performing the duties associated with:
- Knowledge of the Nursing Process, treatment and diagnostic methods for patients throughout the age spectrum.
- Effective interpersonal and patient contact skills.
- Ability to initiate, keep and maintain legible, accurate, concise patient records.
- Demonstrate baseline competency in all areas of the indicated skills checklists and age specific competency.
- Must have some computer experience, working with a healthcare software computer system is desirable.