Histo Tech Laboratory FT Days
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and SMH - Overland Park, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.
- Shares technical knowledge with co-workers; assists with training & orientation of new employees/students & serves as a resource to current staff, students, & physicians.
- Shows enthusiasm in the workplace; actively involved in promoting morale, encouraging others, and improving associate satisfaction scores.
- Seeks opportunities to work cooperatively with other members of the hospital & system.Responds in a professional manner to customer requests & inquiries, assuming responsibility for seeing them through to completion.Communicates with internal and external customers, responding effectively to questions, issues or problems
- Adjusts to changing customer needs by adapting work habits, schedules, or matters of personal convenience to improve service.
- Willingly assists other associates during times of high volume workload.
- Recognizes limitations & asks for assistance/instruction when necessary.
- Participates in and maintains competency requirements for self and those in department
- Limits personal phone calls & business so as not to compromise productivity.
- Attendance pattern reflects commitment to job requirements & patient care needs.
- Demonstrates & models positive behaviors which are supportive of change.
- Works independently
- Uses time efficiently when regular workload is done to maintain department functions.
- Cross-trained between laboratory areas.
- Maintains clean, well-stocked, & organized work area.
- Takes responsibility for own actions; openly admits mistakes & seeks ways to correct the problem.
- Uses strong technical skills in performing problem solving, making decisions about and verifying section procedures with speed and accuracy.
- Produces high quality tissue sections & stains within a time frame that contributes to effective patient care.
- Prepare, evaluates & stains histology samples according to section guidelines.
- Ensures proper storage of slide & block archive material.
- Performs & evaluates quality control & equipment maintenance; corrects malfunctions or arranges for service as needed.
- Identifies & resolves technical problems, adapts procedures to ensure proper handling of unusual or special tissues.
- Uses the LIS efficiently to accession specimens, order tests & obtain information, in keeping with established protocols.
- Recognizes that the attainment of knowledge is every employee’s responsibility & accepts accountability for staying current on all written or electronic communication.
- Enhances technical & professional knowledge by participation in mandatory & continuing education opportunities.
- Understands & utilizes department resources, including department manuals, administrative policy manuals, safety manuals, MSDS & other reference material.
- Utilizes Personal Protective Equipment and follows established chemical hygiene and biohazard protocols.
- Associate’s Degree or Graduate of a Technical School
- No previous Experience is Required
- HT (Histotechnologist)-ACCP Certified or Equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred