Laboratory Assistant Blood Bank 7AM-7PM Weekends
Florida Hospital Tampa
Our hospital has celebrated many firsts in Tampa’s health care history since we opened our doors in 1968. Today, more than four decades later, Florida Hospital Tampa continues to offer innovative medicine as we elevate health care in the Tampa Bay region.
At Florida Hospital Tampa, our diverse clinical specialties provide world-class health care to our patients. We offer the most trusted, expert care in key specialties including cardiovascular care, neurosciences, orthopedics, women's health, cancer and surgery. Our skilled surgeons not only utilize minimally invasive and robot-assisted procedures, but they are also leaders in improving these advanced techniques.
The Blood Bank Laboratory Assistant assists the Blood Bank Technologists by processing samples for testing, as well as preparing samples for reference lab send outs. Performs clerical, Client Service and other duties as assigned in the Blood Bank Department.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Receives and recognizes specimen acceptability, matching orders with specimen using hospital and department identifiers.
· Centrifuge samples and routes them to appropriate workstation in a timely manner.
· Notifies technologists of discrepancies with specimen labeling.
· Answer phones, reprint labels, fax results, and notifies nursing units when products are ready.
· Signs out and returns blood products using Cerner computer system.
· Assists technologists by thawing frozen products such as FFP and Cryoprecipitate.
· Locates and retrieves samples when there is an add-on order to crossmatch blood products.
· Recognize patients with special needs (LR, IRR, antigen negative) and notifies Technologist.
· Prepare specimens to be sent out to Reference Lab and notifies courier (KB to TGH, and OneBlood send outs)
· Place RBCs in Stock refrigerator, organized by Type and Expiration Date.
· Dispose of confidential information appropriately.
· Receive and puts away department supplies.
· Reference patients using Cerner computer system.
· Communicates any unusual occurrences or variation from routine operations to the technologist or supervisor.
· Follows appropriate departmental standards and practices.
· Ensures completion of all assigned activities. Monitors the process until final outcome.
· Provides direct assistance to coworkers and team members as requested.
· Performs additional duties as assigned by technologists or supervisor.Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Basic computer and keyboarding skills
· Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask
· Ability and willingness to work independently as well as in a team environment
· Ability to work weekends and holidays.
· Excellent communication and client service skills.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
Basic laboratory terminology
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· High school graduate or Equivalent
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· Previous hospital or laboratory experience
· Certified Laboratory Assistant
· Enrolled in a degree program in Clinical Laboratory Sciences