Medicaid Eligibility Specialist Full Time Day
Full Time, Day
Florida Hospital New Smyrna
Since 1954, Florida Hospital New Smyrna (formerly Bert Fish Medical Center) has served as the community hospital for Southeast Volusia County. Our more than 700 employees use an impressive array of technology and years of knowledge to provide exceptional care for every patient – every day. We offer a wide range of services, including a surgery program, radiology, an oncology center, cardiovascular services, a wound care center, outpatient diagnostic services, and one of the busiest emergency departments of any hospital our size.Qualifications
You will be responsible for:
- Verifies insurance coverage for all new patients.
- Reviews coverage and explains specific patient responsibilities such as deductibles, copays, etc. to the patient.
- Develops payment plans including self-pay contracts and time payment agreements, based on patient’s ability to pay, for patients referred from physicians and/or self-referrals.
- On request, provides patients with an estimated quote of charges for services.
- Resolves financial problems identified by the patient and addresses them in a timely manner.
- Reviews daily census for all uninsured patients and/or those who have poor insurance coverage to determine intervention needed.
- Meets with all uninsured patients within 24 hours of admissions by completing a thorough financial assessment to ensure we have screened those patients for county, state and federal programs.
- Gathers required financial information by phone or by direct interview in a professional manner, demonstration regard for dignity of all patients and family members.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge regarding medical insurance’s coverage policies.
- Maintains current knowledge on all federal, local and state programs in order to determine a payer source for uninsured patients.
- Meets with patients and completes application for Social Security Administration disability applications, Medicare and Medicaid/Office of Disability of Determination.
- Review discharge list and contacts any patients that have not completed making financial arrangements.
- Discusses payment arrangements on prior accounts with patients via phone or walk in’s
- Prepares charity applications for committee.
- Responsible for other duties as assigned.
What will you need?
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Two years of experience relating to Medicaid Eligibility and enrollment
- Five years Patient Access Experience and or two years Financial Education experience acceptable
- Technical knowledge is needed in the medical insurance billing field through at least 1 year experience. Such knowledge may be obtained through some professional training or college education or by on-the-job training
- Medical terminology and proficient computer skills required