Registered Nurse RN Overland Park Emergency Department PT Nights
Req #: 17013715
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
Job Category: Nursing
Organization: Shawnee Mission Medical Center
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and will soon include SMH - Blue Valley, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.Qualifications
You will be responsible for:
- Utilizes the Nursing Process (Assess, Plan, Implement and Evaluate) to provide optimal patient care.
- Demonstrates accurate assessment skills appropriate to patient population and based on evidence, policy and practice standards when caring for all patients regardless of complexity or need.
- Assures patient safety by adhering to established policies and procedures and utilizing patient safety resources such as mPPID.
- Implements a plan of care according to identified physical, psychosocial and spiritual needs.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize nursing interventions based on patient needs and in conjunction with unit activities and resources available.
- Actively participates in bedside shift report, safety huddles, multidisciplinary patient rounds and hourly rounding to gather all information necessary to care for patients.
- Provides individualized teaching plan based on assessed learning needs, education level, language spoken and level of understanding.
- Provides patient and family/significant other with a completed Teaching/Discharge Plan which includes specific information regarding medications, follow-up and community resources as needed.
- Documents all pertinent information (health history, assessment, test results, plan of care, teaching and patient response) in a timely manner according to departmental policy.
- Participates in shared decision making by working on committees and/or providing input to committee representatives.
- Participates in performance improvement activities and makes recommendations for revisions to practice based on evidence and data collection.
- Coordinates with other resources (i.e. case management, home health) as needed.
- Contributes to the growth of others by providing feedback through peer coaching.
- Attends all hospital, unit mandatory and continuing education requirements.
- Participates in staff meetings and reads all updates in order to keep apprised of activities and practice changes.
What will you need?
- Associate’s Degree in Nursing
- No Previous Experience
- Kansas Registered Nurse License
- BCLS obtained through the American Heart Association Preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or obtained within 5 years of employment Preferred