Nurse Practitioner Behavioral Health Services FT
Req #: 17013738
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
Job Category: Physician Services
Organization: Shawnee Mission Medical Center
Potential Referral Bonus: $
1 Weekend a Month Required
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and will soon include SMH - Blue Valley, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.Qualifications
You will be responsible for:
- Supports and adheres to organizational policies, procedures and protocols.
- Honors patient dignity, privacy and confidentiality, and respect for human diversity.
- Demonstrates collaborative behaviors with members of the health care team.
- Promotes a positive image of Shawnee Mission Health throughout the system and community.
- Models behaviors conducive to the developmental needs of staff and helps them develop their potential.
- Demonstrates and conveys a favorable image of the Medical Center.
- Works within the parameters of the Kansas Nurse Practice Act and adheres to regulatory standards.
- Maintains an unwavering commitment to the highest standards of ethical behavior and honesty.
- Delegates and/or assigns nursing care responsibilities considering the following factors - the degree of supervision needed by the associate, competence and experience level, staff availability, and patient acuity.
- Utilizes Patient Care Problem Solving Process and/or Conflict Resolution Process to resolve patient care conflicts.
- Initiates and maintains accurate records, appropriate legal documents and other health and nursing care reports.
- Transmits/prescribes prescription orders pursuant to written protocols as authorized by a sponsoring physician and in accordance with DEA requirements.
- Incorporates patient, physician, patient needs and concerns into decision-making and organizational action.
- Performs initial and on-going assessments of self-care, psychosocial needs, education, environment and discharge planning, incorporating information from the identified significant other and other health providers.
- Utilizes skills of observation, inspection, palpation, percussion and auscultation using diagnostic instruments or laboratory procedures that are basic to the screening of physical signs and symptoms.
- Assesses learning needs, readiness, and capabilities of patient/family, including cultural, religious practices, language barriers, emotional barriers, educational level, motivation and limitations.
- Seeks appropriate resources to clarify information concerning the nursing/medical care regime as needed. Coordinates care by collaborating with physicians and others to obtain appropriate services, including multidisciplinary team meetings.
- Initiates the multidisciplinary teaching plan which provides patient/family/significant other skills to address, as appropriate; the safe and effective use of medications, nutrition/modified diets, potential food/drug interactions, safe and effective use of equipment, rehabilitative techniques, access to community resources and when and how to obtain further treatment.
- Implements care according to the patient’s plan of care in collaboration with the patient/significant other and health care team.
- Exercises critical thinking skills to make sound clinical judgments about patient care as evidenced by practice patterns, documentation and patient outcomes.
- Uses appropriate verbal and non-verbal communication to demonstrate warmth and caring and to provide a healing environment.
- Maintains competency in professional nursing practice and additional competencies as appropriate to the patient population served.
What will you need?
- Master’s Degree
- Up to 1 Year of Position-Related Experience
- Kansas Nurse Practitioner License (APRN/NP)
- ACLS obtained through the American Heart Association – required for Cardiology NP5+ Years of Position-Related Experience Preferred
- BCLS obtained through the American Heart Association Preferred
- ACLS obtained through the American Heart Association Preferred