Unit Clerk Behavioral Geriatric PRN Days
Req #: 18000139
Location: Lake Placid, FL
Job Category: Nursing
Organization: Florida Hospital Heartland
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Florida Hospital Heartland
Florida Hospital Heartland Medical Center Lake Placid has provided faith-based, whole person care to the community for more than 30 years. That means we take into consideration the mind, body and spirit when designing each of our services and developing personalized treatment plans for patients. Our 50-bed facility includes the county’s only senior behavioral health unit. We also offer emergency care, surgical services, diagnostic imaging, outpatient counseling, and a fitness center to help community members achieve optimal health.
You will be responsible for:
- Prepares and maintains patients medical records from admission through discharge to organization, completeness and accuracy of the records system for the unit
- Assembles, accurately labels and maintains the physical patient chart.
- Serves as a liaison between patients/families, staff and the medical staff.
- Demonstrates techniques of receiving and directing patients and visitors, answering routine inquiries and processing referrals/consults.
- Maintains the unit census record up-to-date including admissions, transfers and discharges.
- Informs bed manager of bed availability and facilitates patient flow.
- Accurately reconciles the unit midnight census including verification of bed accommodation codes.
- Maintains downtime forms and downtime chart packets. Efficiently performs tasks required in preparation for scheduled downtime. Supports staff activities during downtime to assure accurate and timely documentation. Prepares downtime forms for scanning after each downtime.
- Monitors physician orders to assist medical/nursing staff to assure prompt, efficient timely care of all patients.
- Consistently uses the Patient Access List (PAL) or the Tracking Shell to monitor, and when appropriate, process physician orders. Informs the responsible nurse of new and / or STAT orders.
- Accurately processes physician consult requests, schedules requested procedures and secures needed equipment.
- Demonstrate phone etiquette at all times.
- Manages unit supplies, activities, time and other resources in cost effective manner to reduce waste
- Places repair requests using the web-based request form. Follows-up on outstanding requests.
- Responds to electronic temperature monitoring alarms. Records action and follow up within the electronic system.
- Maintains all unit supplies in an organized manner. Performs inventories and requisitions necessary supplies for nursing unit including office supplies, forms and non-stock patient care supplies within established par levels. Keeps the department manager informed of back orders.
- Maintains functional knowledge and seeks to improve competency in the area of responsibility.
- Embraces opportunities to learn new skills
- Attends mandatory hospital in-services
- Readily shares knowledge with co-workers and other staff.
- Functions as a preceptor
- Maintains accurate focus on communication
- Demonstrates effective communication skills, patience, and the ability to explain information to others.
- Assists with development and participates in Performance Improvements process and data collection
- Communicates, collects, reports accurate patient care data to the appropriate team members
- Responds to patient call lights immediately in a courteous manner and informs the responsible caregiver of patient requests.
- Participates as part of the multidisciplinary care team
What will you need:
- Minimum of a High School diploma or equivalent
- BLS -condition of employment
- CPI prior to or within 6 months of employment (Emergency Department and Behavioral Health Units only)
- Associate degree or higher (Preferred)
- Medical terminology (Preferred)