Customer Service Specialist Overland Park Clinic FT Days
Req #: 18000257
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
Job Category: Patient Financial Services
Organization: Shawnee Mission Medical Center
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Full time, Days
40 Hours per Week
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and will soon include SMH - Blue Valley, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.
You will be responsible for:
- Greets patients and visitors in a prompt, courteous and helpful manner.
- Demonstrates good judgment in routing/answering phone calls.
- Maintains a pleasant, caring attitude when communicating with guests and patients through face to face, or phone contact.
- Maintains confidentiality of medical records and other confidential information.
- Adheres to the system Corporate Compliance plan, and to all rules and regulations of all applicable local, state and federal agencies and accrediting bodies.
- Coordinates necessary copying and printing for the department.
- Organizes and maintains department filing system.
- Processes and distributes incoming, outgoing and interoffice mail, including faxes.
- Schedules patient appointments in software following the scheduling procedures and standards.
- Checks in/out patients, accurately validates insurance and collects pertinent copays and deductibles and has patients complete paperwork.
What you will need:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Up to 1 Year of Experience
- Strong Customer Service Skills
- Ability to communicate effectively over the phone and in person
- General clerical skills
- Current knowledge of ICD-9 and CPT-4 coding applications