Medical Technologist II PRN Days
Req #: 18000402
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Job Category: Laboratory
Organization: Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Days included some weekend and vacation coverage
Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel
Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel has provided faith-based, whole person care to the community since it opened in 2012. Every detail of our 83-bed facility is purposefully designed to create an environment of healing for mind, body and spirit. Our hospital is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment from outpatient services to our surgical suites and inpatient care. In 2013, we also opened a 50,000-square foot Health and Wellness Center that includes an indoor track, group exercise areas, and an aquatics center with a lap pool to help community members achieve optimal health. In August 2015, the hospital began construction on am expansion that will open in December of 2016, significantly increasing the number of inpatient beds, surgical suites, and emergency department rooms.
What you will be responsible for:
- Demonstrate competency in laboratory procedures within the scope of practice. Provide all aspects of diagnostic laboratory procedures based on established standards. Perform testing in a timely manner and ensure department staff adhere to established turnaround time goals.
- Adheres to hospital and department policies and procedures. Completes assigned policy and procedure review assignments in a timely manner. Maintains current knowledge of CAP, State of Florida, and Federal regulatory requirements for the clinical laboratory. Complies with all applicable regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Participates in proficiency testing program as assigned. Ensures that proficiency testing deadlines are met and samples are analyzed in the same manner as patient samples.
- Performs all assigned preventative maintenance, calibration, and quality control testing as scheduled, to include appropriate documentation and review.
- Troubleshoots and documents analyzer problems. Informs onsite lab supervisor and all Nursing units of anticipated delays due to extended downtime.
- Maintains a clean and stocked workstation, following infection control guidelines. Ensures department supply levels are maintained in a manner to reduce waste and avoid expenses for “rush” orders.
- Maintains competencies current for all assigned procedures. Completes assigned competency assessments in a timely manner.
- Provides orientation and training to new employees and medical technology students as needed, under the direction of the lab supervisor. Appropriately documents orientation and training of new employees and medical technology students.
- Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his or her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job-related hazards.
- Follows the hospital exposure control plans/blood borne and airborne pathogens.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Participates in departmental staff meetings and attends other meetings as assigned. Establishes and maintains communications within the department and with other departments.
- Keeps professional license current at all times. Demonstrates commitment to professional and personal growth. Maintains membership in the appropriate professional organizations
What you will need:
- Demonstrated technical skills and aptitudes related to specific clinical laboratory testing.
- Knowledge of laboratory rules and regulations including: CAP, CLIA, and State of Florida.
- Basic computer and keyboarding skills.
- Ability and willingness to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible schedules, including nights, weekends, holidays, etc.
- Ability and willingness to adapt to change.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in medical technology or related sciences.
- One year of experience in a laboratory setting required or completion of an accredited medical laboratory training program.
- Three years of experience (preferred)
- State of Florida- Medical Technologist. Licensed in Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Immunohematology, Microbiology, and Serology required.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS/MT) Board of Certification or equivalent required.
- BLS (preferred)