Director of Public & Government Affairs FT Days
Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center
Our goal at Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center is simple: to offer our patients the absolute best care around, in the most compassionate, community-focused setting possible.
Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center consists of two campuses: a 277-bed main hospital in Daytona Beach and a 119-bed hospital in Ormond Beach, as well as our new outpatient facility, located at the Pavilion at Port Orange. Through our Christian mission of hope, health and healing, we strive to promote wellness of mind, body and spirit. We are a recipient of the 2012 Governor’s Sterling Award, which is the highest award an organization in Florida can receive for performance excellence.
More than 400 physicians hold privileges to practice at our facilities, and we employ more than 1,700 care-team members. Our specialties include cardiology, cancer, emergency care, surgical services, obstetrics, neurosurgery, stroke care, rehabilitation, weight-loss surgery, imaging, laboratory, home health, wound care, diabetes, hospice, physician practices and women’s services.
Patients and families from across the country appreciate Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center’s unique culture. Our cutting-edge technology is accompanied by the holistic environment and patient-centered care that have defined Florida Hospital for more than a century. Best of all, it’s just a short trip from some of Florida’s most exciting attractions—and minutes from the Sunshine State’s premier beaches.
You will be responsible for:
- The Volusia/Flagler Market Director, under the supervision of the Volusia/Flagler Market CEO, and the Corporate VP and Director of Government & Public Affairs, is responsible for planning, supporting and implementing Government & Public Affairs efforts for the Volusia/Flagler Market of Florida Hospital and Adventist Health System.
- Develop a strategic plan for developing strong relationships with key internal, community and political stakeholders. Leverage relationships to the positive benefit of AHS and the Volusia/Flagler Market.
- Understand and advocate key public policy issues.
- Adhere to AHS Policies and Procedures.
- Actively participate in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relations that are equally respectful to all.
- Responsibility to adhere to the Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center Corporate Compliance plan, to the rules and regulations of all local, state and Federal agencies, and to the standards of all accrediting bodies.
- Demonstrate a keen understanding of important federal, state and local regulatory and public policy issues affecting Florida Hospital and Adventist Health System.
- Develop effective communication tools regarding public policy issues.
- Develop, grow and maintain positive relationships and communications with key state and local elected officials and other policymakers.
- Develop and implement a Local Stakeholder Engagement Plan for the Volusia/Flagler Market.
- Maintain high visibility at government, business and community events
- Actively engage in GPA Department activities.
- Develop effective communication tools regarding public policy issues
- Develop an annual Volusia/Flagler Market GPA budget for the sponsorship of Advocacy-enhancing government and community activities. Manage and stay within budget each year.
- Maintain high quality standards, timely and accurate processing of information, and positive employee and stakeholder relations. Perform other duties as assigned or directed to ensure the smooth operation of the department.
- Four-year degree in communications or related field, required.
- Requires 8-10 years’ experience in government/public relations or corporate communications.
- Masters’ Degree or 10-plus years’ experience in government public relations or corporate communications, preferred.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, and writing skills.
- Strong policy analysis and advocacy experience.
- Ability to work pro-actively and independently.
- Strong problem-solving skills. Ability to thrive within a matrix system.
- Works independently. Work is varied and non-routine, requiring independent judgment. Work requires complex examination, assessment and planning abilities. Close attention to detail is required during the daily performance of duties. Collaboration and communication with internal and external constituents that is clear, concise and appropriate occurs daily. Must demonstrate a high degree of patience.
- Frequent contacts internally and externally dealing with sensitive, politically driven, and controversial issues requiring a high degree of diplomacy.
- Is privy to confidential hospital information and expected to keep confidences. Also has access to patient information and is expected to keep this in strict confidence and in compliance with HIPAA Policies outlined to protect the privacy of patients. Utilizes any and all resources to assist in strategic planning of initiatives and manages negotiations that could impact hospital operations.