Patient Accounts Specialist Patient Financial Services FT Days
Req #: 17014034
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
Job Category: Patient Financial Services
Organization: Shawnee Mission Medical Center
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and will soon include SMH - Blue Valley, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.Qualifications
RINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Patient Financial Services Specific Functions
· Responsible for account follow-up for all assigned accounts.
· Determine and take appropriate action for delinquency and non-payment of accounts.
· Review, identify, and correct billing errors and resubmit claims to insurance carriers if necessary.
· Ensures daily productivity is maintained and all department goals are met or exceeded.
· Maintains expert knowledge of appropriate claims submission, payment and collection regulations are adhered to.
· Answer inquiries received via telephone & other correspondence for patients/guarantors, insurance carriers, and departments as needed.
· Work effectively with Microsoft applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Have the ability to prioritize based on importance and departmental goals.
· Be detail oriented, well organized, and be able to work independently and part of a team.
Patient Access and Ancillary Areas Specific Functions
· Meet and exceed daily registration productivity
· Meet and exceed upfront cash collection goals.
· Work cooperatively within my work group and with other services
· Communicates honestly with everyone. Resolves issues and problems as they arise.
· Gathers and analyzes data information.
· Suggests to Supervisor/Team Lead new procedures to improve the quality and quantity of work processed.
· Remains current with EMTALA regulations and how they affect Patient Access
· Supports the goals of the entire Patient Access department
· Works to continually improve the employee satisfaction scores as measured by the Gallup Q12 survey
· Demonstrates and conveys a favorable image of Shawnee Mission Medical Center.
· Assists in meeting standards and protocols within the Admitting department.
· Demonstrate a proactive and positive attitude when collaborating upon departmental issues.
· Incorporates customer needs and concerns into decision-making and organizational action.
· Evaluate and continually improve customer service in department.
· Gather information, assess problem, and develop resolutions to the identified issue.
· Works with Patient Access team in developing and executing initiatives to improve customer service.
· Meets and Exceeds department and personnel performance
· Achieve upfront cash collection goals & QA goals
· Demonstrate and promote high standards for quality and productivity; focus on improving results.
· Attend all training meetings to ensure that all new policies, procedures and implementations are kept up to date
· Obtain and process accurate patient demographic and insurance information.
· May verify eligibility/insurance benefits and obtain insurance authorizations.
· Maintains a 98% RQi score 11 out of 12 months.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
· Medical Terminology
· Experience in Hospital billing, Accounts Receivable Management, Customer Service Insurance
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· High School Diploma or Equivalent
· No previous experience is required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· Associate’s Degree or Graduate of a Technical School
· Up to 1 Year of Position-Related Experience