Surgical Scheduler Surgery Administration PRN
Work Hours & Shift:
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
·Schedules surgeries with physicians and physician office staff by phone and fax method. Maintains and records usage of surgeon block time.
· Prepares the advance surgical schedule. Scrutinizes the tentative schedules and contacts Team Leader, Charge Nurse, Admissions, surgeons, etc. and reviews other information that affects administration of schedule.
·Appropriately consults with Nurse Manager, Lead RN, Charge Nurse, and anesthesia staff regarding schedule conflicts, concerns or requests that fall outside of established policy. Seeks input from Team Leaders regarding scheduling constraints and preferences of equipment, instruments and implants, etc. Flags all special needs.
·Calls designated departments with information for add-on cases if patients are not yet admitted to the hospital. Prepares and sends reservations for each case scheduled to designated departments within established timeframes.
· Consistently maintains and improves skills such as telephone etiquette, typing accuracy/speed, and communications.
· Responds to multiple inquiries from telephone, intercom and direct communication regarding scheduling of surgery and the main operating room suite. Occasionally communicates with the patients and/or patient’s families by phone.
·Determines the case time and balances the surgical schedule as to times anesthesia and rooms are available. Generates user-defined reports daily for effective management of tool conflicts.
·Maintains surgeons’ credentials file.
·Maintain profession, open and timely communication with case management to ensure all authorizations obtained.
·Fulfills Unit Secretary role at front desk in Main OR.
· Assists with orientation of staff members as needed.
·Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
1. Knowledge in Microsoft Word and Internet skills.
2. Ability to deal effectively with the public.
3. Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
4. Ability to work and willingness to work flexible schedules, including nights, weekends and holidays etc.
5. Ability and willingness to adapt to change.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· High School Diploma or Equivalent
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· 5 years' experience preferred
· Proficiency in computer usage, medical terminology, basic anatomy and surgical procedure knowledge
· College courses in accounting, computer operations, and communications are helpful
· Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
· Demonstrated customer service and telephone skills
· Previous experience in a medical setting, i.e. physician office, hospital, etc.