Certified First Assist II Full Time
Req #: 18001443
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Job Category: Surgery
Organization: Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Prepares and maintains the surgical area, scrubs and is first assistant to the physician during procedures, assists the RN in technical functions related to patient care in the OR and assists in the training of others and functions as a resource within the department.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Positioning the patient
A. The surgeon shall convey the exact position that will give the best exposure for the surgical procedure. The surgical assistant will carry out this order. Consideration will be given to the patientâ€™s comfort and safety.
B. Points of pressure shall be padded: elbows, heels, knees, eyes, face, and axillary region.
C. Circulation shall not be impaired. (A tourniquet may be required for some procedures.)
D. Nerve damage shall be guarded against.
E. The temperature of the patient should be discussed with the anesthesia personnel and methods employed to maintain the desired temperature range.
F. The surgical assistant shall be familiar with common positions related to the surgical procedure and will be able to use the equipment necessary to provide the position.
Competencies will include the following:
(1) Fracture tables
(2) Head stabilizers
(3) Body stabilizers
(4) C-arm extensions
(5) Any other equipment needed
. Upon completion of the procedure, the patient shall be evaluated for any possible damage from positioning which will include assessment of the skin. The abnormal condition shall be reported to the surgeon and treatment and documentation shall be carried out.
. Providing visualization of the operative site by the following:
. Appropriate placement and securing of retractors with or without padding
. Packing with sponges
. Digital manipulation of tissue
. Suctioning, irrigating, or sponging
. Manipulation of suture materials (e.g., loops, tags, running sutures)
. Proper use of body mechanics to prevent obstruction of the surgeonâ€™s view
. Utilizing appropriate techniques to assist with hemostasis
. Clamping and/or cauterizing vessels or tissue
. Tying and/or ligating clamped vessels or tissue
. Applying hemostatic clips
. Placing local hemostatic age
. Applying tourniquets and demonstrating awareness of the indications/contraindications for use with knowledge of side effects of extended use
. Applying vessel loops
. Applying non-crushing clamps
. Applying direct digital pressure
. Participating in volume replacement or auto-transfusion techniques as appropriate
. Utilizing appropriate techniques to assist with closure of body planes
. Utilizing running or interrupted subcutaneous sutures with absorbable or non-absorbable material
. Utilizing subcuticular closure technique with or without adhesive skin closure strips
. Closing skin with method indicated by surgeon (suture, staples, etc.
. Postoperative subcutaneous injection of local anesthetic agent as directed by the surgeon
. Selecting and applying appropriate wound dressings, including the following:
. Liquid or spray occlusive materials
. Absorbent material affixed with tape or circumferential wrapping.
. Immobilizing dressing (soft or rigid)
. Providing assistance in securing drainage systems to tissue
. Performs operative shave prep, scrub, urinary catheterization, or other patient care tasks as assigned by the RN
. Anticipates the moves of the surgeon
. Prepares and maintains surgical area
· Proficient in scrubbing for all operative procedures within the scope of service
· Setup of procedure/operating room with correct instrumentation and supplies for the scheduled case
· Identifies unsafe or defective instrument/equipment and implements appropriate corrective action
· Verifies completeness of instruments/sponge/needle count
· Cleans instruments, equipment and room as appropriate when procedure is completed
. Ensures proper disposal of instruments, linen, trash, needles, sponges and other bio hazardous waste
. Completes all annual mandatory educational requirements
. Attends 75% of unit staff meetings
. Primary preceptor for orientation and instruction of surgical personnelQualifications
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and to demonstrate that s/he can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
Â· Knowledge of Anatomy
Â· Assist the surgeon in the Surgical Procedures
Â· Prepares and maintains surgical area
Â· Performs technical responsibilities for optimal patient care
Â· Serves as a resource person
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Minimum 5 years experience as CST.
· High School education or equivalent
· Successful completion of an accredited Surgical Technology Course and completion of ASA or accredited Certified First Assistant course.
· Specialist in at least 2 surgical specialties as verified by confirmation letters from surgeons.
· Able to precept and act as resource person in multiple surgical specialties.
· Prior employment as CFA II at a Adventist Health Systems hospital will meet confirmation letter requirements.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· Completion of Certified Surgical Assisting Program
· Robotic experience
· Nuero or Ortho Spine experience
· Orthopedic experience
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· Certification as a Surgical Tech First Assistant (NCCT or NBSTA only) upon hire
· BLS upon hire
· 4 hours Hip and Knee Replacement education within 6 months of hire date, then annuall