Phlebotomy Lab Assistant PRN Days
Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center
Our goal at Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center is simple: to offer our patients the absolute best care around, in the most compassionate, community-focused setting possible.
Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center consists of two campuses: a 277-bed main hospital in Daytona Beach and a 119-bed hospital in Ormond Beach, as well as our new outpatient facility, located at the Pavilion at Port Orange. Through our Christian mission of hope, health and healing, we strive to promote wellness of mind, body and spirit. We are a recipient of the 2012 Governor’s Sterling Award, which is the highest award an organization in Florida can receive for performance excellence.
More than 400 physicians hold privileges to practice at our facilities, and we employ more than 1,700 care-team members. Our specialties include cardiology, cancer, emergency care, surgical services, obstetrics, neurosurgery, stroke care, rehabilitation, weight-loss surgery, imaging, laboratory, home health, wound care, diabetes, hospice, physician practices and women’s services.
Patients and families from across the country appreciate Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center’s unique culture. Our cutting-edge technology is accompanied by the holistic environment and patient-centered care that have defined Florida Hospital for more than a century. Best of all, it’s just a short trip from some of Florida’s most exciting attractions—and minutes from the Sunshine State’s premier beaches.
- Perform phlebotomy on inpatients and/or outpatients per procedure
- Correctly identify the patient
- Wear proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Able to locate a venipuncture site
- Draw specimens in the proper order
- Correctly label tubes at bedside/patient side
- Label tubes with time and Destiny id
- Apply dressing
- Properly dispose of Sharps and Biohazardous material
- Deliver specimens to the Processing area or appropriate department
- Use computer for various tasks
- Receive specimens
- Generate and fax patient reports when requested
- Cancel tests at the request of the floor
- Generate collection labels
- Generate and work collection lists
- Register patients
- Perform laboratory assistant duties
- Empty tube system, receive and deliver specimens to Processing
- Answer telephone, solve problems, route calls for others correctly
- Collect Chain of Custody specimens per procedure
- Identify patient by use of photo ID.
- Properly fill out forms
- Secure specimen for transport
- May be required to work at the outpatient area, Florida Hospital – East Region MedLab, or other facilities as needed.
- May be required to learn Registration including the entering of patient demographics, insurance information, Medical Necessity and ordering of tests.
- Required to learn how to process and/or deliver specimens to the proper department & fill in as needed
- May be required to fax reports to the doctors’ offices
- Perform other duties as assigned or as needed
- Responsible for complying with HIPAA, CAP, JC,OSHA and all other local, state and federal laws governing the hospital in general and the laboratory in particular
- Must conform to all hospital and laboratory policies and procedure
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 1 year phlebotomy experience, preferably in a hospital setting, OR completion of phlebotomy training course which includes an externship in an approved facility.
- Computer skills required
- Good customer service skills
- Excellent phlebotomy skills