Phlebotomist II F/T Weekends Gordon Hospital
Req #: 18002640
Location: Calhoun, GA
Job Category: Laboratory
Organization: Gordon Hospital and Murray Medical Center
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Gordon Hospital is a 69-bed community hospital that is a member of Adventist Health System, the largest not-for-profit Protestant healthcare system in the world. We provide high quality, personalized and compassionate care to its patients and community. Through our dedication to safety, rigorous self-assessment, performance improvement, corporate integrity, and service management, we are committed to being the pre-eminent provider of acute inpatient and outpatient healthcare services for the residents of Calhoun, Gordon County, and surrounding areas.
Under the immediate supervision of the Medical Technician, Medical Technologist, Assistant Manager and the Director of Laboratory services, the Phlebotomist collects clinical specimens from patients of all age populations in such a manner as to ensure accurate clinical testing. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide appropriate care to the patient population being served. Understands lab tests and procedures and is proficient on LIS. Answers phone and provides assistance or directs calls as required. Maintains inventory of phlebotomy supplies.
Full Time WeekendsQualifications
You will be responsible for:
- Build collaborative professional relationships to create quality healthcare
- Work independently in a professional team-oriented environment.
- Possess office skills such as but not limited to answering the phone, transferring calls, faxing, printing, filing, cleaning and organizing.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Accountability to learn and implement processes that improves laboratory standards.
- Has written and oral communication skills adequate to comprehend technical material and communicate with medical professionals including but not limited to nurses, physicians, and reference laboratories.
- Ability to communicate with patients of all ages from neonatal to geriatric. Use appropriate equipment for specimen collections.
- Ability to emotionally and physically handle high volumes of stress and workload.
- Use universal precautions and PPE deemed appropriate at all times when performing laboratory procedures.
- Ability to locate an appropriate venipuncture site and obtain blood on > 95% of patients with 1 venipuncture
- Ability to obtain blood from antecubital sites as well a finger sticks, heel sticks, and the ability to stick in the arms, hands, legs and feet as medically necessary for testing.
- Ability to understand and collects specimens other than blood such as but not limited to cultures, urine, nasal swabs and throat swabs.
- Ability to draw > 95% of patients within 5-10 minutes.
- Ability to correctly identify a patient, collect and label specimens at the bedside or patient area according to JCAHO guidelines.
- Ability to communicate with technical staff to verify testing required by physicians.
- Ability to understand hospital information systems (HIS) and laboratory information systems (LIS) and utilize the systems to process samples for in house testing and reference laboratory testing.
- Ability to troubleshoot any test in question with an appropriate outcome and documentation.
- Utilize LIS reports and maintenance function to ensure patient testing is ordered, performed and resulted within a timely manner.
- Utilize the LIS for documentation and reporting of results.
- Ability to utilize the internet and intranet to obtain information such as specimen collection requirements for samples being sent to a reference lab.
- Ability to order supplies within the set guidelines to manage inventory and supplies used within the phlebotomy department.
- Mentor and train new employees.
- Required to learn registration, including the entering of patient demographics, insurance information and ordering of tests.
- Understand laboratory protocol and route sample efficiently to the appropriate department.
he financial counselor will process upfront applications
What will you need?
- High School graduate or equivalent
- 2 years experience as a Phlebotomist drawing neonates, pediatrics, adults, and geriatrics. Preferred
- Computers, telephone, fax, copier, printers, chemistry, hematology, coagulation, urinalysis, blood bank and microbiology analyzers, glucometers, incubators, environmental hood, monitored refrigerators and freezers, centrifuges, phlebotomy chairs and supplies.
- Excellent verbal, written and clerical skills
- Certification in phlebotomy or national certification from a nationally recognized agency such as ASCP, NCA…etc
- Two years of experience in medical terminology and understanding of laboratory protocol and procedures. Preferred