Parent Educator Patient Education PRN
Req #: 18002909
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
Job Category: Education
Organization: Shawnee Mission Medical Center
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Shawnee Mission Health
SMH has provided faith-based, whole person care to the Kansas City community since 1962. SMH is more than just a hospital campus. We’re a network of health care facilities working to exceed expectations by delivering quality care with compassion and supporting an exceptional staff of more than 700 physicians representing 50 medical specialties.
Our mission of Improving Health Through Christian Service is achieved each and every day through the dedication and commitment of our associates, physicians and volunteers. We strive to be a regional beacon of wellness, hope and healing attracting customers seeking unsurpassed clinical quality and compassionate care for the whole person, following the example of Christ's healing ministry.
The largest health care provider in Johnson County, Kansas, the SMH network includes SMMC and SMH - Prairie Star and will soon include SMH - Blue Valley, a third major health care facility. Our 54-acre campus at SMMC is comprised of the main hospital, a community health education building, six physician office buildings and an associate child care center. The Emergency Department at SMMC is the busiest in Johnson County. We deliver more babies each year at the Shawnee Mission Birth Center than any other hospital in the metropolitan area and our Center for Women’s Health is nationally recognized. We have seven Shawnee Mission Primary Care locations with more than 30 Board-certified doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics as well as Centra Care Shawnee Mission Urgent Care locations.
What you will be responsible for:
- Works collaboratively and communicates openly with Birth Center staff to ensure seamless care for families involved.
- Demonstrates teamwork by maintaining a cheerful helpful, and service attitude toward all guests and coworkers.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with administrative representatives and leadership by communicating openly, being supportive and keeping them informed.
- Maintains a organized work flow system.
- Takes initiative to complete mandatory job requirements and assumes responsibility for individual performance development, CBL’s and mandatory health screenings and immunizations.
- Takes initiative to stay informed of current changes in practice in the Birth Center.
- Attends and participates in Parent Education staff meetings.
- Participates in yearly mandatory observation day in labor and delivery, mother/baby and lactation.
- Independently maintains all certifications necessary for the role.
- Understands and maintains HIPPA guidelines in relation to patient information
- Understands and upholds Infant Security standards within the Birth Center.
- Maintains open and honest communication with Program Coordinator.
What you will need:
- High school diploma
- Approved certification in specialty related to scope of classes that she/he is teaching
- Childbirth Preparation, Newborn Care, Natural Strategies and Refresher/VBAC classes -certification by nationally recognized agency such as ICEA or CAPPA
- Baby Signing Time with Music
- Love and Logic
- Babies Don’t Bark- Certification Council of Professional Dog Trainers
- Baby Friendly education
- Breastfeeding- IBCLC preferred