Histotechnologist Lead F/T Days Gordon Hospital
Under the immediate supervision of the Pathologist, Director of Laboratory Services, and Assistant Laboratory Manager, the Lead Histotechnologist performs clinical testing in the histology/pathology area of the laboratory. The Lead Histotechnologist is responsible for day-to-day technical operations of the Histology area; processing, preparation and staining of histology specimens to prepare the specimens to be evaluated by the pathologist. Confirms & verifies, correlates & interprets test results utilizing in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles, instruments, & physiology. Recognizes technical, instrumental & physiological problems, identifies the cause & evaluates alternative solutions. Operates, maintains, & repairs equipment.
This position will have the following responsibilities for the department: competency training, student training, instrument maintenance and training, scheduling, inventory management, manage proficiency testing, manage department QA documentation and follow-up, and maintain a quality improvement process.
This position may also have additional responsibilities as deemed necessary by Laboratory.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Maintains all the essential job functions of the Histotechnologist.
· Works with Laboratory Director & Medical Director to prioritize customer needs appropriately in allocating resources and providing service.
· Shows enthusiasm in the workplace; actively involved in promoting morale, encouraging others, and improving associate satisfaction scores.
· Seeks opportunities to work cooperatively with other members of the hospital & system though quality assurance processes.
· Adjusts to changing customer needs by adapting work habits, schedules, or matters of personal convenience to improve service.
· Develops section policies and procedures in consultation with Medical Director and Laboratory Director.
· Shares technical knowledge with co-workers; leads training & orientation of new employees/students & serves as a resource to current staff, students, & physicians.
· Coordinates ongoing training and development of Histology staff, establishing evaluation criteria and insuring compliance with regulatory standards.
· Willingly assists other associates during times of high volume workload.
· Responds in a professional manner to customer requests & inquiries, assuming responsibility for seeing them through to completion.
· Recognizes limitations & asks for assistance/instruction when necessary.
· Limits personal phone calls & business so as not to compromise productivity.
· Takes responsibility for own actions; openly admits mistakes & seeks ways to correct the problem.
· Demonstrates & models positive behaviors which are supportive of change.
· Utilizes critical thinking to recognize & resolve problems, documents corrective actions, and communicates to team
· Uses strong technical skills in performing problem solving, making decisions about and verifying section procedures with speed and accuracy.
· Receives, prioritizes, and processes specimens in a timely manner to meet or exceed turnaround time standards.
· Performs & evaluates quality control, equipment maintenance, and instrument calibration as needed.
· Uses the LIS efficiently to order tests, enter results/documentation, & obtain information, in keeping with established protocols.
· Recognizes that the attainment of knowledge is every employee’s responsibility & accepts accountability for staying current on all written or electronic communication.
· Enhances technical expertise & professional knowledge by participation in mandatory & continuing education opportunities.
· Evaluates new techniques, instruments and methods with attention to staffing, equipment and budgetary resources.
· Evaluates and maintains inventory in correct balance for efficient operation of section and works to minimize waste to control costs.
· Assists in operations budget development and insures that section meets budget goals.
· Works independently and is able train, teach, and critique associates in department.
· Uses time efficiently when regular workload is done to maintain department functions.
· Maintains clean, well-stocked, & organized work area.
· Understands, utilizes, and updates department resources, including department manuals, administrative policy manuals, safety manuals, MSDS & other reference material.
· Utilizes Personal Protective Equipment and follows established chemical hygiene and biohazard protocols.
· Ensures organization and continuing development of histology staff.
· Mentors staff in adapting to changing customer requirements.
· Participates in and maintains competency requirements for self and those in department.
· Ensures product quality and accuracy through Quality Control monitors.
· Distributes daily workload to insure timely service, in keeping with client satisfaction and turnaround time expectations.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Computers, telephone, fax, copier, printers, microtome, cryostat, microscope, stainer, cover slipper, tissue processor, embedding center, monitored refrigerators & freezers, and centrifuges.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Associate’s Degree or Graduate of a Technical School
· 2 to 5 Years of Position-Related Experience
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· Bachelor’s Degree
· 5+ Years of Position-Related Experience
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· HT(Histotechnologist)-ASCP Certified or Equivalent