Pharmacy Tech II Certified FT Nights
Req #: 18002993
Location: Tampa, FL
Job Category: Pharmacy
Organization: Florida Hospital Tampa
Potential Referral Bonus: $
Florida Hospital Tampa
Our hospital has celebrated many firsts in Tampa’s health care history since we opened our doors in 1968. Today, more than four decades later, Florida Hospital Tampa continues to offer innovative medicine as we elevate health care in the Tampa Bay region.
At Florida Hospital Tampa, our diverse clinical specialties provide world-class health care to our patients. We offer the most trusted, expert care in key specialties including cardiovascular care, neurosciences, orthopedics, women's health, cancer and surgery. Our skilled surgeons not only utilize minimally invasive and robot-assisted procedures, but they are also leaders in improving these advanced techniques.
You will be responsible for:
- Assist Pharmacists with computer order entry, medication filling and distribution of completed orders to inpatients and soon to be discharged patients.
- Answer and screen phone calls for the Pharmacists
- Pull medications from the shelves for the Pyxis refill and deliver these to the various med stations and intensive care units
- Help in the training and orientation of other pharmacy technicians and students who will rotate through the department.
- Techs will often be tasked to look for patient specific medications/IVs that were sent up by the pharmacy but are not currently able to be located by unit staff.
- Compound or repackage medications for inpatient prescriptions, including topical ophthalmic, intrathecals, Pediatric oral and IV doses.
- Under the supervision of a pharmacist, the technician will prepare compounding sterile preparations, aseptically accurately, efficiently and in a timely manner
- Maintain compliance and familiarity with IV Room Policies and Procedures, all State and Federal Laws and USP<797> and ASHP
- Maintain accurate records on products compounded and prepare appropriate labels.
- Trouble shoot various mechanical issues with Pyxis
- Accurately fill departmental requisitions, crash cart medication trays and borrow loan forms
- Rotate stock and check for expired medications
- Maintain monthly floor inspections as assigned
- Demonstrates a professional manner in all encounters.
- Respects patient privacy, confidentiality, and dignity.
- Acknowledges employees, physicians and visitors promptly with a courteous, professional manner.
- Develops positive working relationships with other functionally related units of the hospital and demonstrates respect for coworkers.
- Develops processes that would improve patient satisfaction.
- Demonstrates respect for human dignity and self-worth.
- Contributes to a positive working environment by demonstrating a supportive learning attitude.
- Exhibits flexibility.
- Open to change.
- Sensitive to department and hospital wide needs.
- Effectively participates in conflict resolution/problem solving.
- Mentors new employees, staff and students in department by providing guidance and support through orientation and integration into the health care team.
- Mentors new hires to assist in building team and making them feel like part of the department.
- Promotes timely workflow by following hospital policy for medication preparation, mixing and dispensing.
- Helps to improve a work process or procedure that results in the reduction of costs, adding revenue or increasing operational effectiveness.
- Demonstrates awareness of factors by correctly filling and mixing medications and correctly utilizing the automation for medications and supplies.
- Complies with decisions made for staffing adjustments.
- Exceeding performance standard by creating innovative unit based change in practice that is efficient and cost effective, while maintaining or improving patient care.
- Translates goals and objectives of the department into effective work operations, encouraging and supporting employees to achieve these goals.
- Brings about positive outcomes through extra effort such as working an extra shift, covering for another employee, staying late/arriving early as needed or volunteering for extra duties.
- Completing monthly quality review as assigned in month due.
- Mentors new employees to assist them in making successful transition into the department resulting in decreased department turnover.
- Demonstrates safe practice in the preparation of medications.
- Complies with all JCAHO regulatory standards
- Successfully completes required departmental and organizational annual competencies.
- Integrates ethical decision making into daily pharmacy practice.
- Demonstrates commitment to professional and personal growth by completing all mandatory educational requirements by assigned completion date.
- Completes PPD screening during birth month.
- Attends 50% of staff meetings.
What will you need?
- Good organizational and problem solving skills with the ability to prioritize work appropriately and assure timely delivery of product to the patient care areas.
- Ability to provide optimal customer service having strong telephone and verbal communication skills
- Be able to work independently without constant supervision and as a team member.
- Be able to pay close attention to detail and perform repetitive tasks accurately.
- Have strong work ethic.
- Demonstrated ability to follow written and verbal instructions effectively.
- High School Diploma/GED
- At least 1 year of hospital experience or equivalent training.
- Completes a training program or provides experience to satisfy the State of Florida Board of Pharmacy requirements for Technician Registration
- 2 years of hospital experience (preferred)
- Registration with the Board of Pharmacy
- Certified by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB)